North East Derbyshire Online
You are here: Home » Advice and Benefits » Benefits » Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments

If you are entitled to some help towards your rent , you may be able to apply for an additional award known as a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). DHPs are paid on top of Housing Benefit and Universal Credit to people who find that the shortfall between their Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and their housing costs causes them exceptional hardship.


DHPs can only be paid up to the maximum amount of eligible rent that is due, and cannot be paid for some service charges that are included in the rent, for example water charges. They are also only intended to be a temporary top up, so will not be paid indefinitely. You may be able to negotiate a lower rent with your landlord, or you may have to consider finding alternative accommodation that you can afford.


The amount of money that we are allowed for DHPs is limited,  therefore awards are made at our discretion, and each application will be considered on it's own merits. 


You must make any application for a Discretionary Housing Payment in writing, giving us the reasons why you cannot afford the shortfall between your benefit and your housing costs. We will notify you of our decision in writing. If we turn down your application you can ask us to consider your application again, but there is no formal right of appeal.


Please click on the link below for a downloadable Discretionary Housing Payment application form, or contact us for more information

Contact Details

  • Connect NE Revenues and Benefits
  • 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S42 6NG
  • Location District Council Offices
  • Telephone 01246 217600