North East Derbyshire Online
You are here: Home » Advice and Benefits » Benefits » How to apply

Apply for Benefit

People claiming Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Guarantee Pension Credit

If you claim Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Guarantee Pension Credit, the Department for Work and Pensions will give you a form to make a claim for Housing and Council Tax Benefit. The form should be returned to the social security office, who will send it to us.

However, it is safest to ask us for one of own application forms to complete as well, to make sure that you don’t lose out on any benefit.

Other claimants

All other claimants should make their claim for benefit direct to the Council. You can collect an application form from our offices in Wingerworth or any of the Area Cash Offices, or call the Council Tax and Benefit hotline and we will post one out to you.


You can also download a claim form by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page. You will need Adobe Acrobat 6.0 to open the file.


Please Note : at present it is not possible to complete and submit the claim form online.

The Application Form 

The benefit application form will ask questions about your personal circumstances and those of the people who live with you, including details of income, savings and any rent you may pay. We will also need to see proof of any details you supply to ensure that they are correct.


See the section called Benefit Application - Proof of your details.


We have tried to make the form as straightforward as possible, but because we need so much information it may seem a bit daunting. If you need any help completing the form our officers will be happy to help you.


Need Extra Help? 


We understand that some of our customers may need a home visit for help with their form, for example elderly customers or people with disabilities. Please let us know if you are unable to get to the office personally, and one of our officers will be happy to call round to help you.

Please note: your claim is normally assessed from the Monday following the date we receive your form.  

For example, if we receive your form on Friday, your claim will be assessed from the Monday after; if your application doesn’t arrive until Monday, it will be the following Monday before any benefit is granted. You may then have lost out on a weeks worth of benefit. 

Please make sure that you send in your application form as soon as possible to make sure that you don’t miss out. 


If you would like further information you can contact us (details below). 


You can visit us at this office from 9am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday. You do not need to make an appointment as we operate a 'drop-in' system. However, if you prefer to make an appointment just give us a ring.


Contact Details

  • Connect NE Revenues and Benefits
  • 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S42 6NG
  • Location District Council Offices
  • Telephone 01246 217600