North East Derbyshire Online
You are here: Home » Environment and Planning » Rubbish, Waste and Recycling » Waste We Won't Take

Waste We Won't Take

Your household wheelie bins are meant for every day domestic rubbish.

So as not to overload your bin or risk it not being emptied, please make sure you don't put the following items either in your bin or alongside it as 'side waste':

Household waste

The following items are not acceptable as household waste and will not be collected:

  • Excavated material, including soil and sods, clay, gravel, stone, broken concrete, tarmac, etc

  • Greenhouses, sheds

  • Panes of glass, window-frames

  • Internal or external doors, garage doors

  • Concrete slabs, bricks, blocks, plaster, cement, timber

  • Radiators, fireplaces, gas fires, boilers

  • Bathroom fittings i.e. toilet, bath, shower base, shower-screen, wash-hand basin, bidet

  • Kitchen cupboards or base units and sink units and work tops

  • Water tanks and cylinders

  • Heaps or piles of loose branches

  • Gas cylinders

  • Oil

  • Liquid waste including any flammable liquids and paint

  • Asbestos

  • Motor vehicle or motorcycle parts including wheels and tyres

  • Hazardous household waste e.g. household chemicals, herbicides, rodenticides, insecticides etc

Hazardous waste can be disposed of at a Household Waste Recycling Centre.  Further information about hazardous waste and how this can be disposed of can be found on Derbyshire County Council's website.

Waste left by contractors

This Council will not collect any waste created on household premises by tradesmen i.e. builders, plumbers, decorators, gardeners, electricians, joiners, odd-job men, glaziers, double-glazing installers, central-heating installers, fitted kitchen installers or any other tradesmen. 

All contractors should remove the waste they produce when carrying out any work on your property; they are legally obliged to do this. You could also be guilty of an offence by causing them to evade their legal duty and not dispose of their ‘commercial waste’.

By law, you must check that the tradesman is a registered waste carrier who will dispose of the the waste generated at a registered site - you can be fined up to £5000 if the contractor who did the work for you fly-tips the waste from your property.

How do I remove waste that the Council do not collect?

If you have large amounts of waste, or waste that we don't collect, you may be able to take it to the Household Waste Recycling Centre, but check that it is accepted first. Alternatively you could look for registered waste contractors in the Yellow Pages, local papers or online under such headings as ‘Skip Hire’ or ‘House Clearance’.

You must ensure that your waste is disposed of in a proper manner and to a licensed waste disposal site. Fly tipping is illegal and irresponsible, on summary conviction this offence can carry a fine of up to £50,000 and/or twelve months imprisonment.

Environmental Services have a Customer Charter for more information on the services we provide and can de downloaded.


For help and advice regarding collection and procedures please contact North East Derbyshire Clean and Green Neighbourhoods Service (contact details at bottom of page)

Contact Details

  • Connect NE Clean and Green Line
  • 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S42 6NG
  • Location District Council Offices
  • Telephone 01246 217610
  • Fax 01246 217566