North East Derbyshire Online
You are here: Home » Housing » Private Housing » Park Homes, Mobile Homes and Caravans

Park homes, mobile homes and caravans

Caravan sites may be residential, holiday, or touring sites and if you use land as a caravan site you will almost always need to get planning permission and a site licence from us.


Sites that do not require a licence are:


• A caravan sited within the 'curtilage' of a dwelling - that is the enclosed area surrounding the property including yards, gardens and driveways - that is not used as a separate dwelling. 


• A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.


• Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.


• Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.


• Sites of up to 5 caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.


• Sites occupied by the local authority.


• Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.


• A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.

Site Licences


To run a caravan site legally you need a licence from us.


Every site licence will have conditions attached to it; these conditions set out standards governing the layout, facilities and maintenance of the park. We are responsible for ensuring that site licence conditions are met by the park owner.


Conditions that may be attached to a licence include:


• The spacing of units from each other, the site boundary and site roads

• Fire fighting equipment, fire points and emergency telephones

• Fire hazards 

• Safety and maintenance of electrical installations

• Water supply

• Drainage, sanitation and washing facilities

• Maintenance and safety of roads and footpaths

• Refuse disposal

• Car parking and recreational areas

• Storage of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)

• Type and condition of caravans/mobile homes


Residential sites


These are sites that are occupied permanently as the resident’s main home and are covered by the Mobile Homes Act 1983. Find out more about residential caravan sites.



Holiday sites


These are sites that are occupied temporarily as a holiday home. Traditionally called static caravans or mobile homes they may vary in size and condition greatly, and are not designed for year round living as they lack adequate heating and insulation to cope with the winter months.


These sites normally have a specified open season set in the caravan site licence. Holiday sites are not covered by the Mobile Homes Act so people who do use a holiday caravan for residential purposes have no rights of protection under the Act. Find our more about Caravan Holiday Homes.



Touring sites


These are sites that are occupied temporarily as a holiday home by touring caravans (that can be towed by a car), motor homes or tents. They have separate amenity blocks to provide sanitation and washing facilities that the mobile units may lack.


Regulation of Sites


We carry out periodic inspections of licensed sites to check that site-owners are complying with the conditions of their licence. If you are concerned that the conditions attached to a site licence are not being adhered to please contact us, our details are below.


We can also answer queries from park operators about licence requirements and complaints from residents about site conditions, and are happy to give advice to owners and residents about obligations under the laws regulating caravan sites.


If you have any queries about park homes, mobile homes and caravan sites please contact us.


Contact us for more information or to apply for a licence.

Contact Details

  • Private Sector Housing Team
  • 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S42 6NG
  • Location District Council Offices
  • Telephone 01246 217247 or 217249