Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
 Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Contact Us

Contact Us

Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor

Find My...

Find My...



Contact Us

North East Derbyshire District Council
2013 Mill Lane
S42 6NG
Telephone 01246 231111

How to Find Us

Useful and Emergency Contacts

We speak your language. Call us on 01246 231111 and we will arrange a telephone discussion with an interpreter using Language is Everything

You TubeInstagram

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

If you consider that someone is carrying out development which may not have had planning permission, you should contact us immediately.  Any complaints received in this way, unconnected with a particular current planning application are confidential.

Planning permission is granted subject to conditions.  Failure to comply with conditions that are laid out in planning permissions may result in the issue of a 'Breach of Condition Notice' which requires compliance with the terms of the condition within a certain amount of time.

If the developer still doesn't comply with the requirements of a breach of condition notice this is a criminal offence and on conviction, the developer can be fined up to £1000. There is no right of appeal against a breach of condition notice.

Where land or buildings are not properly maintained and their appearance becomes detrimental to the area, the Local Planning Authority may issue a notice under section 215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended) requiring works to be carried out to address the damage to amenity. The power can range from removing rubbish from land to demolishing buildings and removing the demolition debris.

There is a right of appeal against a notice issued under this section to the Magistrates Court. Failure to comply with the requirements of the notice constitutes a criminal offence subject on conviction to a fine not exceeding £1000, the authority is also empowered to enter land to carry out the works specified in the notice and reclaim costs from the land owner.

For any further planning enforcement queries please contact us using the contact details on the right of this page.


Please note, your personal information is only used to investigate alleged unauthorised breaches of planning control. Your details are kept secure and are not shared with any other party. For more information on how we use personal information please go to our privacy statement on our website here.


The Planning Policy team deals with all matters concerned with the writing and interpretation of planning policies. This includes the 2001-2011 Local Plan, Draft 2011-2033 Local Plan, Supplementary Planning Documents and Other guidance, Authority Monitoring Report, Local Development Scheme, Statement of Community Involvement and Neighbourhood Planning. Self and Custom Build Housing can be found here. Please see the Local Plan pages for more information.


There are 3 main ways that trees may be protected:-

Tree Preservation Orders (TPO). These may be placed on trees which are visually important to the area, or trees which may be under threat from future development.  If you have trees on your property covered by a TPO, you must get permission to do any works to the tree, whether this is felling or pruning.

Conservation Areas. If you are planning to fell or prune a tree in a Conservation Area you are required to give the council six weeks notice in writing of your intentions.  The council may either decide to raise no objections to your proposals or, if it wishes to retain the trees or have strict control over any pruning works, a Tree Preservation Order may be made on the trees.  If you have not heard anything within six weeks of the council receiving your notification, you may carry out the works.

Planning Conditions may be put on the planning permission which require certain trees to be kept. It is also possible that conditions may be put on a planning permission requiring additional trees to be planted.  This may be to replace trees lost by the development, or to screen the development on the site from the surrounding area.


Hedgerows can house some important species of wildlife and have a great impact upon biodiversity and habitat connectivity. The Regulations are intended to protect important hedges in the countryside. Anyone proposing to remove a hedge to which the Regulations apply must give the Council six weeks notice and give the reason for seeking to remove it. You must contact the Development Control team via the contacts box on the right of this page.

High Hedges

Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 gives local authorities powers to deal with complaints about high hedges. As long as you have made reasonable attempts to resolve your dispute, you can bring your complaint about your neighbour’s evergreen hedge to us. If you wish to make a formal complaint about a High Hedge, you should contact us to request the relevant application forms. You will need to pay a fee of £320 if you make a formal complaint. This is needed to cover the cost of the work in dealing with your complaint.

Latest Promotion

Feb half term leisure promo giff 2019

What's on

21 Jan 2019 14:00- 
22 Jan 2019 14:00- 
 Local Plan Steering Group
31 Jan 2019 10:00-12:00 
 Landlord Forum
31 Jan 2019 15:00- 
 Audit and Corporate Governance Scrutiny Committee
07 Feb 2019 14:00- 
 Licensing Committee
12 Feb 2019 14:00- 
13 Feb 2019 10:00- 
18 Feb 2019 14:00- 

Latest Tweets

Go to top