Our fitness classes provide the perfect environment for you to keep fit with our wide range of group exercise. Our classes cater for any ability, from beginners to advanced. The programme is reviewed regularly to ensure that we are offering the right classes at the right times and introducing new classes to members and casual users. We offer the following classes (please check indvidual facility timetables (Dronfield SC, Eckington SP and Sharley Park LC) for when these classes take place):
- Abs Class - Our abs classes are a great way to tone up the troublesome abdominal region! The class consist of specific moves, sequences and routines put together to give you a great abdominal workout.
- Aerobics - Our aerobics class is a high energy and fun fitness class where you perform a range of aerobic moves shown to you by our motivational instructors! No matter what your age, ability or experience, aerobics class is an inclusive activity suitable for everyone. Our upbeat classes will ensure you are boosting your fitness, getting a top workout, and having a great time!
- Boot Camp - Boot Camp is a full body workout to help build strength and fitness using a variety of exercises and equipment.
- Cardio Club - Open to people with a cardiac related problem and their carers, it follows programme of activitiies to help you overcome cardiac complaints or cardiac surgery.
- Chairobics - Chair based low impact exercise to music led by a fitness instructor.
- Circuit Training - Multi-stationed group exercise class designed to work all the basic elements of fitness (strength, stamina, flexibility). No co-ordination required and all abilities welcomed.
- For the love of fitness - High Intensity workout training, yoga sessions and boxfit. Find something to suit you and rekindle your love with fitness
- Functional Fitness Training - An exercise workout that blasts body fat and tones and builds functional strength and balance.
- G-Cycle - High energy calorie burning workout on the indoor cycles which gets the heart pumping.
- High Intensity - High impact, high intensity fitness workout. Advanced class.
- Hips, Bums and Tums - This class is designed to target those stubborn areas that normal exercise does not get to.
- Insanity Live - The world's most insanely tough workout where you use your body to create the best body you can get.
- Junior Gym - Supervised gym session providing a safe and effective fitness and toning workout for 11 to 15 year olds
- Jogging Groups - Improves your health, helps with weight loss, chance to meet new people led by friendly fully qualified instructors and all abilities are welcome.
- Kettlebells - A hand held weight that is used for an all over top to toe workout combining cardiovascular and resistance exercise to give an all in one class.
- Pilates - Helps improve posture and movement by strengthening and balancing all muscles of the body.
- PiYo - Piyo is a fun, challenging class fusing Pilates And Yoga. You will burn calories, tone muscles, work on balance and get a great stretch!
- Virtual Instructor Sessions - At Dronfield Sports Centre and Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre. Over 300 classes available to try for both members and pay and play customers.
- Walking Football - Keep fit and stay active. Aimed at over 55s but suitable for all ages. Sessions will develop skills and improve health.
- Yoga - Linked with a focus on breathing this eastern art incorporates strength and flexibility to help develop an inner sense of well being.
- Zumba - Zumba takes the "work" out of workout, by mixing low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval-style, calorie-burning dance fitness party. Once the Latin and World rhythms take over, you'll see why these classes are often called exercise in disguise.
Online booking is available for most of our fitness classes here
Tiny Tumblers & Little Flyers
Tiny Tumblers, (preschool gymnastics) Little Flyers (preschool trampoline) and Mini Movers are specially developed pre-school movement and learning programmes designed to improve your child's co-ordination and balance.
The course will introduce toddlers to the basic skills required in gymnastics such as tumbling, balancing and bouncing. The sessions are designed to be fun for the children whilst at the same time developing their co-ordination and alertness.
An award scheme is incorporated to encourage progression through the duration of the course. The courses are suitable for children who are toddling or walking to five years.
Please note that parent participation is a major aspect of the course. All courses are delivered by qualified British Gymnastics (BG) instructors.
Session Times - Tiny Tumblers
- Dronfield Sports Centre - Mondays 9.30am-10.15am (under 3s) ; 10.15am-11am (3 to 5 years); 11am-11.45am (mixed age group) and Fridays 12.45pm-1.30pm (under 3s); 1.30pm-2.15pm (mixed age group); 2.15pm-3pm (3 to 5 years)
- Sharley Park Leisure Centre - Wednesdays 9.30am-10.15am (under 3s); 10.30am-11.15am (mixed ages) and 11.30am-12.15pm (mixed ages)
Session Times – Little Flyers
- Dronfield Sports Centre Only – Tuesday 12.45-1.30pm
If your child(ren) are not ready to start Tiny Tumblers or Little Flyers at present but would like to be notified of places which become available in the future please contact either Dronfield Sports Centre on 01246 217217 or Sharley Park Leisure Centre on 01246 217227 and we will contact you about future courses.
Our gymnastic courses are for ages 4-16 and must be in full time school. They are held at Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre, covering four main gymnastics disciplines: Floor, Vault, Beam and Bar. All courses are delivered by qualified British Gymnastics instructors. An award scheme is incorporated to encourage progression throughout the duration of the course.
If you wish to enrol your child(ren) then please contact either Dronfield Sports Centre on 01246 217217 or Sharley Park Leisure Centre on 01246 217227 and we will contact you when a place becomes available.
Dronfield Sports Centre Session Times
|Monday with Lauren Castley||Tuesday with Lauren Castley||Friday with Lauren Castley||Saturday with Lauren Castley|
|4.00-4.45pm - Beginners||4.00-4.45pm - Beginners||4.00-4.45pm - Beginners||9-9.45am - Beginners|
|4.45pm-5.30pm - Improvers||4.45pm-5.30pm - Improvers||4.45pm-5.30pm - Improvers||9.45-10.30am - Improvers|
|5.30-6.30pm - Advanced||5.30-6.30pm - Advanced||5.30-6.30pm - Advanced||10.30-11.30am - Advanced|
Dronfield Beginners are age 4-6, Improvers 7-9 and Advanced mixed age dependent upon ability.
Sharley Park Leisure Centre Session Times
Tuesdays with Colin Edwards
Wednesday with Colin Edwards
Saturday with Colin Edwards
4.15-5pm - Beginners
4-4.45pm - Beginners
9-9.45am - Beginners
5-5.45pm - Improvers / Advanced
4.45-5.30pm - Beginners
9.45-10.30am - Improvers
5.45-6.30pm - beginners / Improvers
10.30-11.15am - Improvers / Advanced
Our trampoline lessons are coached by British Gymnastic Trampoline coaches. Courses are available for young people aged 5 to 16. They include progressive and fun weekly sessions focusing on improving skills and working towards National Awards.
- Dronfield Sports Centre - Every Saturday from 12noon-1pm (5 - 8 Year); 1-2pm (9+years) and 2-3pm (9+years).
- Sharley Park Leisure Centre holds 45 minute mixed ability sessions every Thursday at 4pm, 4.45pm and 5.30pm.
See photographs of our sessions here, and if you wish to enrol your child(ren) you can complete our online enrolment forms for Gymnastics here and Trampolining here. Alternatively please contact either Dronfield Sports Centre on 01246 217217 or Sharley Park Leisure Centre on 01246 217227 and we will contact you when a place becomes available.
Our Health Referral Scheme aims to increase exercise and activity in everyday life for people who want to improve their health. It is especially for those people who currently do either no or very little physical activity but who are motivated to do more. Being active each day makes us feel good, boosts our confidence and improves the health & wellbeing of everyone in North East Derbyshire.
To participate on the scheme, you must be aged over 16 and make an appointment with your GP who will decide with you whether you can be referred to the scheme. You may see other health professionals such as practice nurses, weight management advisors, stop smoking advisors, community mental health staff, hospital staff, physiotherapist – and they can also refer you.
Once you have been referred, we will contact you by phone or letter to arrange your first 1:1 appointment to talk about your referral and plan an exercise programme that is best suited for you and your personal needs and interests with realistic goals agreed. Activities can include: gym, Zumba, swimming (Swimfit), pilates, Forever Active, aquacise, chair based exercise, group exercises, walking for health, low impact circuit training and cardiac rehabilitation.
The scheme will last for a 12-week period and a development record will be issued to you so you can record your activity sessions. You will also be given an activity leaflet which will provide all the essential information about where you can attend group sessions, supervised classes and any of the individual activities on offer.
Our Health Referral scheme currently offers two sessions per week free of charge for the first 12-weeks. Any additional sessions are charged at a significantly discounted rate to support all, including vulnerable and disadvantaged people.
The free or discounted sessions are: Chair Based Exercise; Low Impact Circuit Training; Dicky Tickers; Feel The Beat; Cardio Club; Gym; Swimming and Walking for Health.
People who are in receipt of Council Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit will pay £2.20per session. People not in receipt of any benefits will be charged £3.00 for the same sessions.
Participating venues and suitable exercise sessions include:
- Dronfield Sports Centre
- Sharley Park Leisure Centre
- Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre
- Killamarsh Sports Centre
- Village Games
- Generation Games
For more information please telephone 01246 217208.
We offer a range of swimming lessons for all ages, so you are never too young or old to learn! Swimming is an essential life skill and an excellent form of low impact exercise with many health benefits, and is ideal for improving social skills and for individuals looking to lose weight, tone muscle or just gain fitness.
Otter Pups - These classes are specially aimed at children aged from 10 months to three years of age, accompanied in the water by a parent or carer. Babies are introduced to the water in a safe, calm environment to help them build confidence while having fun. Once they reach the age of three they can move on to our 'Otters' lessons for pre-school children. Lessons last for 30 minutes.
Otters - For 3 - 4 year olds. Water confidence lessons. Lessons last for 30 minutes.
Swim Stars - For school age children aged from four and a half years onwards. Our comprehensive programme of lessons for school age children is based on the International Learn to Swim Programme (ILSP). Lessons last for 30 minutes.
You can login to our online portal to view the progress of your child. You must first register to do this by clicking here.
We have dedicated classes specially designed for adults wanting to learn to swim or improve their swimming skills. Lessons vary from 30-60 minutes.