Leisure activities (faq)
Fitness Classes Open or Close
Our fitness classes provide the perfect environment for you to keep fit with our wide range of group exercise. Our classes cater for any ability, from beginners to advanced. The programme is reviewed regularly to ensure that we are offering the right classes at the right times and introducing new classes to members and casual users. We offer the following classes (please check indvidual facility timetables (Dronfield SC, Eckington SP and Sharley Park LC) for when these classes take place):
- Abs Class - Our abs classes are a great way to tone up the troublesome abdominal region! The class consist of specific moves, sequences and routines put together to give you a great abdominal workout.
- Aerobics - Our aerobics class is a high energy and fun fitness class where you perform a range of aerobic moves shown to you by our motivational instructors! No matter what your age, ability or experience, aerobics class is an inclusive activity suitable for everyone. Our upbeat classes will ensure you are boosting your fitness, getting a top workout, and having a great time!
- Boot Camp - Boot Camp is a full body workout to help build strength and fitness using a variety of exercises and equipment.
- Cardio Club - Open to people with a cardiac related problem and their carers, it follows programme of activitiies to help you overcome cardiac complaints or cardiac surgery.
- Chairobics - Chair based low impact exercise to music led by a fitness instructor.
- Circuit Training - Multi-stationed group exercise class designed to work all the basic elements of fitness (strength, stamina, flexibility). No co-ordination required and all abilities welcomed.
- For the love of fitness - High Intensity workout training, yoga sessions and boxfit. Find something to suit you and rekindle your love with fitness
- Functional Fitness Training - An exercise workout that blasts body fat and tones and builds functional strength and balance.
- G-Cycle - High energy calorie burning workout on the indoor cycles which gets the heart pumping.
- High Intensity - High impact, high intensity fitness workout. Advanced class.
- Hips, Bums and Tums - This class is designed to target those stubborn areas that normal exercise does not get to.
- Insanity Live - The world's most insanely tough workout where you use your body to create the best body you can get.
- Junior Gym - Supervised gym session providing a safe and effective fitness and toning workout for 11 to 15 year olds
- Jogging Groups - Improves your health, helps with weight loss, chance to meet new people led by friendly fully qualified instructors and all abilities are welcome.
- Kettlebells - A hand held weight that is used for an all over top to toe workout combining cardiovascular and resistance exercise to give an all in one class.
- Pilates - Helps improve posture and movement by strengthening and balancing all muscles of the body.
- PiYo - Piyo is a fun, challenging class fusing Pilates And Yoga. You will burn calories, tone muscles, work on balance and get a great stretch!
- Virtual Instructor Sessions - At Dronfield Sports Centre and Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre. Over 300 classes available to try for both members and pay and play customers.
- Walking Football - Keep fit and stay active. Aimed at over 55s but suitable for all ages. Sessions will develop skills and improve health.
- Yoga - Linked with a focus on breathing this eastern art incorporates strength and flexibility to help develop an inner sense of well being.
- Zumba - Zumba takes the "work" out of workout, by mixing low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval-style, calorie-burning dance fitness party. Once the Latin and World rhythms take over, you'll see why these classes are often called exercise in disguise.
Online booking is available for most of our fitness classes here
Fitness Suite Open or Close
Our fitness suites provide the latest equipment and state of the art technology. They include resistance units and cardio-vascular cycles, steppers, treadmills, cross-trainers and rowers which allow you to enjoy your workout at any level. Our resistance units are specially designed to allow easy access for people with disabilities.
All customers who wish to use the fitness suite need to have had an induction to run through the safety aspects of the equipment and how to train safely. You can book your induction at the leisure facility receptions.
- Dronfield Sports Centre - Following over £385k investment in 2017 Dronfield Fitness Suite now has over 75 stations to offer a better experience for the user. The new purpose built fitness studio with air conditioning, state of the art music system and activity lighting provides a better health and fitness experience for classes such as G-Cycle, Zumba and Boot Camp. The Fitness on Demand Virtual instructor also enables customers to choose what class they want to do, when they want to do it, with over 300 different classes to choose from.
- Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre - A £1.3 million refurbishment of the centre has seen the number of stations in the gym increase from 30 to 50 and provide a better experiecne for the user. Our new studio/multi-use area provides more health and fitness classes such as aerobics, dance and interactive classes.
- Sharley Park Leisure Centre - The fitness suite includes a full range of resistance and cardiovascular equipment which allows you to benefit from and enjoy your workout. Our resistance units are designed to allow easy access for people with disabilities.
Gymnastics, Trampolining, Tiny Tumblers & Toddlers Open Play Open or Close
Tiny Tumblers and Mini Movers
The course will introduce toddlers to the basic skills required in gymnastics such as tumbling, balancing and bouncing. The sessions are designed to be fun for the children whilst at the same time developing their co-ordination and alertness.
An award scheme is incorporated to encourage progression through the duration of the course. The courses are suitable for children who are toddling or walking to five years.
Please note that parent participation is a major aspect of the course. All courses are delivered by qualified British Gymnastics (BG) instructors.
Session Times - Tiny Tumblers
- Dronfield Sports Centre - Mondays 9.30am-10.15am (under 3s) ; 10.15am-11am (3 to 5 years); 11am-11.45am (mixed age group) and Fridays 12.45pm-1.30pm (under 3s); 1.30pm-2.15pm (mixed age group); 2.15pm-3pm (3 to 5 years)
- Sharley Park Leisure Centre - Wednesdays 9.30am-10.15am (under 3s); 10.30am-11.15am (mixed ages) and 11.30am-12.15pm (mixed ages)
Please note block booking is required for Tiny Tumblers sessions.
Toddlers Open Play
This is a fun, unstructured, open play session for children who are toddling or walking to five years old. The sessions offers a great opportunity for little ones to learn new skills, improve their balance and make new friends in a safe, fun and friendly environment. The open play sessions enable your child to play freely with all activities and are supervised and all times.
No block booking required only £4.40 per session! Payment required upon booking. Limited spaces available, booking is essential to avoid disappointment. Please call reception on 01246 217217 to secure your space.
Session Times – Toddlers Open Play
- Dronfield Sports Centre Only – Tuesday 12.45-1.30pm mixed, 1.30-2.15pm mixed, 2.15-3pm mixed.
If your child(ren) are not ready to start Tiny Tumblers or Toddlers Open Play at present but would like to be notified of places which become available in the future please contact either Dronfield Sports Centre on 01246 217217 or Sharley Park Leisure Centre on 01246 217227 and we will contact you about future courses.
Our gymnastic courses are for ages 4-16 and must be in full time school. They are held at Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre, covering four main gymnastics disciplines: Floor, Vault, Beam and Bar. All courses are delivered by qualified British Gymnastics instructors. An award scheme is incorporated to encourage progression throughout the duration of the course.
If you wish to enrol your child(ren) then please contact either Dronfield Sports Centre on 01246 217217 or Sharley Park Leisure Centre on 01246 217227 and we will contact you when a place becomes available.
Dronfield Sports Centre Session Times
Monday with Lauren Castley Tuesday with Lauren Castley Friday with Lauren Castley Saturday with Lauren Castley 4.00-4.45pm - Beginners 4.00-4.45pm - Beginners 4.00-4.45pm - Beginners 9-9.45am - Beginners 4.45pm-5.30pm - Improvers 4.45pm-5.30pm - Improvers 4.45pm-5.30pm - Improvers 9.45-10.30am - Improvers 5.30-6.30pm - Advanced 5.30-6.30pm - Advanced 5.30-6.30pm - Advanced 10.30-11.30am - Advanced
Dronfield Beginners are age 4-6, Improvers 7-9 and Advanced mixed age dependent upon ability.
Sharley Park Leisure Centre Session Times
Tuesdays with Colin Edwards
Wednesday with Colin Edwards
Saturday with Colin Edwards
4.15-5pm - Beginners
4-4.45pm - Beginners
9-9.45am - Beginners
5-5.45pm - Improvers / Advanced
4.45-5.30pm - Beginners
9.45-10.30am - Improvers
5.45-6.30pm - beginners / Improvers
10.30-11.15am - Improvers / Advanced
Our trampoline lessons are coached by British Gymnastic Trampoline coaches. Courses are available for young people aged 5 to 16. They include progressive and fun weekly sessions focusing on improving skills and working towards National Awards.
- Dronfield Sports Centre - Every Saturday from 12noon-1pm (5 - 8 Year); 1-2pm (9+years) and 2-3pm (9+years).
- Sharley Park Leisure Centre holds 45 minute mixed ability sessions every Thursday at 4pm, 4.45pm and 5.30pm.
See photographs of our sessions here, and if you wish to enrol your child(ren) you can complete our online enrolment forms for Gymnastics here and Trampolining here. Alternatively please contact either Dronfield Sports Centre on 01246 217217 or Sharley Park Leisure Centre on 01246 217227 and we will contact you when a place becomes available.
Health Referral \ Waistwise Open or Close
Our Health Referral Scheme aims to increase exercise and activity in everyday life for people who want to improve their health. It is especially for those people who currently do either no or very little physical activity but who are motivated to do more. Being active each day makes us feel good, boosts our confidence and improves the health & wellbeing of everyone in North East Derbyshire.
To participate on the scheme, you must be aged over 16 and make an appointment with your GP who will decide with you whether you can be referred to the scheme. You may see other health professionals such as practice nurses, weight management advisors, stop smoking advisors, community mental health staff, hospital staff, physiotherapist – and they can also refer you.
Once you have been referred, we will contact you by phone or letter to arrange your first 1:1 appointment to talk about your referral and plan an exercise programme that is best suited for you and your personal needs and interests with realistic goals agreed. Activities can include: gym, Zumba, swimming (Swimfit), pilates, Forever Active, aquacise, chair based exercise, group exercises, walking for health, low impact circuit training and cardiac rehabilitation.
The scheme will last for a 12-week period and a development record will be issued to you so you can record your activity sessions. You will also be given an activity leaflet which will provide all the essential information about where you can attend group sessions, supervised classes and any of the individual activities on offer.
Our Health Referral scheme currently offers two sessions per week free of charge for the first 12-weeks. Any additional sessions are charged at a significantly discounted rate to support all, including vulnerable and disadvantaged people.
The free or discounted sessions are: Chair Based Exercise; Low Impact Circuit Training; Dicky Tickers; Feel The Beat; Cardio Club; Gym; Swimming and Walking for Health.
People who are in receipt of Council Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit will pay £2.20per session. People not in receipt of any benefits will be charged £3.00 for the same sessions.
Participating venues and suitable exercise sessions include:
- Dronfield Sports Centre
- Sharley Park Leisure Centre
- Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre
- Killamarsh Sports Centre
- Village Games
- Generation Games
For more information please telephone 01246 217208.
Holiday Activities Open or Close
Coming soon! Keep checking here to see what activities we have taking place at all three of our leisure centres during the holidays.
Check out what activities we have on offer at Dronfield Sports Centre
Check out what activities we have on offer at Eckington Swimming Pool
Check out what activities we have on offer at Sharley Park Leisure Centre
Or contact the individual centres for details:
- Dronfield Sports Centre Tel: (01246) 217217
- Eckington Swimming Pool Tel: (01246) 217481
- Sharley Park Leisure Centre Tel: (01246) 217277
Please note: not all activities are running at all of the centres, so please check individual programmes for full details.
Memberships Open or Close
We have the following membership packages
JDM Unlimited! JDM Plus! JDM Junior! JDM No Strings! JDM Discount! JDM Corporate! Super Saver Card Adult Swim Saver Card
JDM Unlimited Offers! £30 per month*
We've frozen our membership prices for 2018 - 2019 - meaning you can still get unlimited use of leisure facilities at Dronfield Sports Centre, Eckington Swimming Pool and Sharley Park Leisure Centre.
That's unlimited use of:
- Fitness suites
- Swimming / exercise classes
*Sign up and get even better value memberships, with 1 & 2 months FREE on 6 & 9 month packages (regular price £30 per month).
Just Do More! Plus £12 per month
Just do More! Plus
To be eligible for this membership plan, you must be between 11 and 19 and have one other family member on our Just do More! Unlimited Membership.
Our Just do More! Plus card gives you:
• Unlimited fitness suite (Children between 11 and 15 must be accompanied by an adult)
• Unlimited swimming.
• Unlimited fitness classes/Junior Gym not available at Sharley Park Leisure Centre. (Age restrictions apply).
For just £12 a month* (via Direct Debit only)
Just Do More! Corporate - £25/month
Do business with us and get discounts on the cost of monthly membership for your employees or volunteers. Regular exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle – and more companies are recognising the benefits of encouraging their employees to be active:
- Reduced stress
- Improved concentration and confidence
- Weight management
- Reduced sickness absence from work
Our package gives unlimited use of leisure facilities in Dronfield, Eckington and Clay Cross:
- Fitness suite
- Swimming and exercise classes
- Reduced rates for squash and badminton
This great value deal, which also includes a free induction for all members, is just £25 a month per person – plus:
- Sign up for six months – get one month free
- Sign up for nine months – get two months free
Corporate membership is also offered to constituted voluntary organisations in North East Derbyshire, including sports clubs and charities.
Super Saver Card - £19 per month
Unlimited use of fitness suites and swimming
- Buy 6 Months for £114 and Get 1 Month FREE (Month 7)
- Buy 9 Months for £171 and Get 2 Month FREE (Months 10 and 11)
Available to anyone with a valid Just do More! Discount Leisure Pass or Concessionary Pass membership.
Just Do More! Junior £16 per month
If you're aged between 8 and 15, why not join our Just Do More! Junior scheme? There's no long tie-ins or direct debits, just sign up at reception and pay £16 per month to get unlimited access to casual swim sessions, badminton, squash and table tennis (including racket hire) at weekends and off-peak periods at Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre.
Just Do More! No Strings -£6.50 per session
This membership gives you access to great discounts and advance booking privileges. Joining is free and all card holders get access to our leisure centres on a pay and play basis – there is no monthly payment.
Our Just do More! No Strings card gives you:
- Advanced booking - get in first with our priority 8 day advance booking service
- Online booking - book certain activities online, no need to phone
- Special offers throughout the year
- Additional 24 hours priority bookings for Fitness Classes - sign up early for those popular classes.
Just Do More! Discount (Must live in North East Derbyshire) - £2.40 or £3.20 dependant on which pass you are eligible for
We have membership packages (Leisure/Concessionary Pass) which give eligible people discounts on activities, with no monthly fee to pay.
You qualify if you’re:
- Aged 60 or over
- Suffering ill-health and have been advised to exercise by your doctor
- A full-time student (aged 16 or over)
- Unemployed or on a low income
There is a small fee to join and you will need proof of eligibility. Membership must be renewed every year.
Adult Swim Saver Cards - £34.20
Junior Swim Saver Cards - £21.60
10 swims for the price of nine! There's a lot less hassle - no need to mess about with cash and finding the right change. Just show your card and get it signed at reception each time you visit!
A full list of terms and conditions can be seen here.
Parties Open or Close
We offer a range of party options at our three leisure facilities. .
Splash out on a pool party at Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre. A small pool party with floats and rafts costs from £95, whilst a big pool party lets you clamber across our giant inflatable obstacle course for just £170. To book your party please telephone 01246 217481 .
Sports Hall Parties
Our new great value package includes:
- 90 minutes sports hall hire - your choice of football, short tennis, badminton, netball, basketball, uni-hoc or kwik cricket. Activities can be combined as much as you like.
- A huge bag full of all the equipment you'll need for a great party experience.
- A free family swim voucher for the birthday boy or girl.
- Discount "Family Swim for a Fiver" voucher for every child attending.
Continue the fun and celebrations in our party room - you're welcome to bring your own food, banners, balloons and entertainment to make the party go with a swing. Our all-inclusive package costs just £70 for a maximum of 20 children and is available on Saturdays, Sundays and up to 6pm midweek (subject to availability). Bookings are taken up to three months in advance. Please note all sessions are unsupervised.
To book your party please contact Dronfield Sports Centre on 01246 217217, Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness centre on 01246 217481 or Sharley Park Leisure Centre on 01246 217277.
Kids Climbing Parties
Available at Dronfield Sports Centre, let your guests scramble around the climbing zone and then have your party food in the hall while you continue with the fun on the wall. There are loads of different games to keep everyone fully entertained.
The climbing zone will be available for all ages, although under 3's cannot use the Freedom Climber Wheel. This party package costs £70 for 2 hours use (including meal time) for a maximum of 15 children. To book your party please contact Dronfield Sports Centre on 01246 217217.
Sports Open or Close
We provide a wide range of indoor and outdoor sports and activities at our facilities. Within our purpose built sports hall there’s space for all your leisure needs, so why not try out one of our many sports on offer.
Our six court sports halls can host a number of sports and activities:
- Badminton - our six court hall gives you ample opportunity to have a game of badminton with your friends or family. Available throughout the week and 45 minutes per session. Book up to 7 days in advance. Costs £5 off peak and £9.30 peak times. (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
- Basketball - Get your mates together and have a slam dunk-in time with a game of basketball. (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
- Climbing - Our Climbing Zone incorporates a Freedom Climber Wheel and a 12m x 2m Climbing Wall as well as a Brand New Interactive Cardio Wall. The facility is ideal for a range of fitness training as well as great fun for the kids and youngsters. (Dronfield Sports Centre)
- Cricket - The main sports hall is available for cricket throughout the week and can be booked at reception up to 7 days in advance. Why not gather your mates and make a group booking! (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
- Five-a-side Football - The main sports hall is available for five-a-side football throughout the week and can be booked at reception up to 7 days in advance. Why not gather your mates and make a group booking! (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
- Gymnastics - Courses for tiny tumblers (18 months to five years), junior gymnastics (6 to 16 years) and trampolining (6 to 16 years) that follow British Gymnastic guidelines. (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
- Netball - The main sports hall is available for netball throughout the week and can be booked at reception up to 7 days in advance. Why not gather your mates and make a group booking! (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
- Short Mat Bowling - The main sports hall is available for short mat bowls throughout the week and can be booked at reception up to 7 days in advance. (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
- Short Tennis - The main sports hall is available for short tennis throughout the week and can be booked at reception up to 7 days in advance. (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre) (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
- Squash and Racketball - Available throughout the week and 40 minutes per session. Book up to 7 days in advance. Costs £5.90 off peak and £7.95 peak times. (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
- Table Tennis - Available to hire out throughout the week. Costs £3.70 (off peak) £4.70 (peak) for a 60 minute session. Price includes table, paddle and ball hire for up to 4 people. (Dronfield Sports centre)
- Volleyball - The main sports hall is available for volleyball throughout the week and can be booked at reception up to 7 days in advance. Why not gather your mates and make a group booking! (Dronfield Sports Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre)
Our sports halls are also great for hosting big events such as:
- Antiques Fairs
- Brass Band Concerts
- Markets - An indoor market runs every Thursday in conjunction with the outdoor market and is situated in the main sports hall at Dronfield Sports Centre. There are a variety of stalls operating from early morning to mid afternoon, including (but not limited to) flowers, make up, watches, sweets, greeting cards and groceries.
- Martial Arts Displays
Swimming Open or Close
Our swimming pools are the perfect place for families to come and enjoy a swim. We offer fun sessions in all our pools, which are suitable for children of all ages. (child admission policy applies).
Our pools are available for casual swimming throughout the week, so its easy to take a plunge and have fun with the family! We also offer specific sessions for adults only or lane swimming allowing you to swim at your own pace..
- Dronfield Sports Centre - We have a main swimming pool (25m x 8.5m) and a small pool (8.5m x 6m)
- Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre - We have a main swimming pool (25m x 12.5m)
- Sharley Park Leisure Centre - We have a main swimming pool (25m x 12.5m) and a small pool (12.5m x 7.3m)
At Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre and Sharley Park Leisure Centre we stage regular inflatable fun sessions with our Super Slide 'n' Splash and Raging Raft (pictured) inflatables. These inflatables are also available to hire for pool parties.
Please note (this information below applies to Eckington Pool only):
Throughout the holidays Aquafuns are on Mondays and Wednesdays, please call the centre on 01246 217481, or refer to a holiday leaflet for their times’
- Entry to session is first come first served
- Tickets can only be purchased within 30 mins of session starting
- Maximum capacity 60
- Once capacity is reached entry will be stopped for Health and Safety reasons
Please not this only applies to Eckington not SPLC or DSC.
Swimming Lessons Open or Close
We offer a range of swimming lessons for all ages, so you are never too young or old to learn! Swimming is an essential life skill and an excellent form of low impact exercise with many health benefits, and is ideal for improving social skills and for individuals looking to lose weight, tone muscle or just gain fitness.
Otter Pups - These classes are specially aimed at children aged from 10 months to three years of age, accompanied in the water by a parent or carer. Babies are introduced to the water in a safe, calm environment to help them build confidence while having fun. Once they reach the age of three they can move on to our 'Otters' lessons for pre-school children. Lessons last for 30 minutes.
Otters - For 3 - 4 year olds. Water confidence lessons. Lessons last for 30 minutes.
Swim Stars - For school age children aged from four and a half years onwards. Our comprehensive programme of lessons for school age children is based on the International Learn to Swim Programme (ILSP). Lessons last for 30 minutes.
You can login to our online portal to view the progress of your child. You must first register to do this by clicking here.
We have dedicated classes specially designed for adults wanting to learn to swim or improve their swimming skills. Lessons vary from 30-60 minutes.