Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
 Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Contact Us

Contact Us

Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor

Find My...

Find My...



Contact Us

North East Derbyshire District Council
2013 Mill Lane
S42 6NG
Telephone 01246 231111

How to Find Us

Useful and Emergency Contacts

We speak your language. Call us on 01246 231111 and we will arrange a telephone discussion with an interpreter using Language is Everything

You TubeInstagram

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

Council Tax and Business Rates are payable in monthly instalments which are shown on your bill. There are a variety of ways to pay your bill, the simplest is to use our online method, found in the 'Pay it' button above. You can also pay via the below methods, and all the relevent contact details are on the contacts box on this page:

  • Direct Debit payments
  • Telephone - Using your debit or credit card you can make a payment by telephoning us 24 hours per day, 7 days per week on 01246 217710.
  • Pay online
  • Area Cash Office - You can make your payment in person at our District Council Offices in Wingerworth or one of the area cash offices.
  • PayPoint
  • Post - If sending your payment by post please do not send cash – send a cheque or postal order. If you cannot avoid sending cash, please use Recorded or Special Delivery. Please make cheques payable to NEDDC and send to District Council Offices, 2013 Mill lane, Wingerworth, S42 6NG. Remember to write your account reference number on the back of your cheque.
  • Bank - You can pay over the counter at any bank, but the bank may charge you a fee for this service. Please include the Council Tax account reference number and ensure that the payment is credited to our Bank:
    • Bank - Lloyds Bank
    • Branch - City Office Gillingham 
    • Sort Code - 30 80 12 
    • Account Number - 10736668 
    • Account Name - NEDDC General Account

If you have any query about paying your bill, please contact the Revenues Team using the contact details opposite..

  • The Recovery Section deals with outstanding balances on Council Tax, Business Rates and Housing Benefit accounts.
    The process of recovering unpaid money is outlined below;

    The Summons

    If you have failed to pay money owed on your account after a payment reminder has been sent to you details of your account will be passed to the Recovery Section. At this stage the Recovery Section will issue a summons to appear at North East Derbyshire and Dales Magistrates Court.
    As a result, you will lose the right to pay by instalments and the summons will request that you pay the full outstanding balance, including an additional amount for court costs.
    If two or more names appear on the Council Tax bill, you will all receive a copy of the summons, but only one amount of costs will be charged.

    What Happens Next?

    If you pay the full outstanding amount shown on the summons, including the costs, before the hearing date no further action will be taken and your name will not appear on the list presented at the Court. The fact that you had been issued with a summons would not be held against you for future years.
    You do not have to attend the magistrate’s court if you agree that you owe the outstanding amount. If you decide to attend court, we will not pay for your expenses.
    If you can’t afford to pay the full amount you should contact the Recovery Section to make an arrangement to pay off the debt. See our information on Arrangements.

    The Court Hearing

    The court hearing is held to check that the proper steps have been taken to recover your Council Tax and that the balance is still owing. The magistrates cannot decide how much you should pay or agree payment arrangements, and cannot consider any Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit related matters
    At the hearing if the Magistrates are satisfied that the correct procedures have been followed they will grant a Liability Order in respect of your outstanding account. The Liability Order allows us to take further recovery action without prior notice. See our information on Further Action.
    If you think you are not liable to pay the charge, please contact the Revenues Section straight away so that we can investigate the matter.
    You will be sent a copy of the Liability Order, which also includes a request for details of your income and expenditure. You must complete and return this request to avoid your account being passed to a bailiff company for collection.

    Special Arrangements

    Once a summons has been issued, the Recovery Section will be happy to discuss making an arrangement for you to pay off your outstanding balance.
    There are three ways in which an arrangement can be made:
    Direct debit – we will consider putting your account onto a monthly direct debit arrangement; the direct debit will continue on your account for future years so you will avoid you falling into arrears again.
    An arrangement based on income & expenditure – if you are unable to pay by direct debit, we may consider an arrangement based on details of your income & expenditure; this way we can see how much you can reasonably be expected to afford per month to clear your account. We will still apply for a Liability Order with costs at the court hearing, but we will not take any further recovery action, as long as you keep to your arrangement.

    Further Action

    If you do not make an arrangement to pay, or fail to keep to the arrangement you have made, then the Recovery Section can take the following action:
  • make automatic deductions from your wages or benefits; your employer can charge you up to £1 for each deduction
  • pass your account to an enforcement agency to recover; you may be charged additional costs for this by the company
  • we may start bankruptcy proceedings.
  • we can apply for your committal to prison.

We would like to avoid all of these options, if at all possible, by making an acceptable arrangement with you.

For independent advice and information you can contact your local:

Citizens Advice Bureau - Telephone: 0300 456 8437. The NEDCAB have also produced a Debt and Budgeting Calculator which can be used to produce a draft financial statement or act as a basic income and expenditure budgeting guide/tool.
National Debtline - Telephone 0808 808 4000.

There are many circumstances in which you may make an appeal against your property's banding. For example there may have been a structural change, part or all of the property may have been demolished or there may have been changes in the area that might affect the value.

You may also appeal against the banding of a new property or against an alteration in your banding made by the Valuation Office.
If you have recently moved house, you have six months from the date you moved in to make an appeal.

Appeals should be made to the Valuation Office at the following address:

The Valuation Office Agency
Listing Officer
Council Tax East
Ground Floor
Ferrers House
Castle Meadow Road

Main Switchboard Tel: 03000 501 501

For full details of the grounds for appealing against your banding visit the Valuation Office web site at www.voa.gov.uk
If you do make an appeal against your banding you must still pay your council tax bill. If your appeal is successful, your bill will be adjusted and any overpayments will be refunded to you.

Welcome to our interactive service for Council Tax, Business Rates and Benefits - Billing and Benefits NETime.

Sign into Billing and Benefits NETime - if you've already registered for the service, you can also register if not. 

Through this service you can:

Sign up for electronic billing

Set up a direct debit

Request or activate a PIN

View your Council Tax account and bills

Check your Benefit claim

The amount payable depends on the value of the property and, whilst Council Tax was introduced on 1st April 1993, the valuations are based on the open market values as at 1st April 1991. All domestic properties are valued and placed in one of eight valuation bands by the Independent Valuation Agency.  A Listing Officer at the Valuation Office is responsible for compiling, maintaining and notifying the Council of the banding of a property.
Please use the what's my council tax calculator on this page for your area's tax band.

The eight valuation bands are:

Band A - Values not exceeding £40,000  
Band B - Over £40,000 but not over £52,000 
Band C - Over £52,000 but not over £68,000
Band D - Over £68,000 but not over £88,000 
Band E - Over £88,000 but not over £120,000
Band F - Over £120,000 but not over £160,000
Band G - Over £160,000 but not over £320,000
Band H - Values exceeding £320,000 

Each band is subject to a different level of tax; Band A will have the lowest tax and Band H the highest.  The relevant band for your dwelling will be shown on your Council Tax bill
Go to top