Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
 Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Contact Us

Contact Us

Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor

Find My...

Find My...



Contact Us

North East Derbyshire District Council
2013 Mill Lane
S42 6NG
Telephone 01246 231111

How to Find Us

Useful and Emergency Contacts

We speak your language. Call us on 01246 231111 and we will arrange a telephone discussion with an interpreter using Language is Everything

You TubeInstagram

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

A clean, green and safe environment is a top priority for us. We manage and maintain a number of the District's parks, recreation grounds, closed cemeteries and green open areas. This can also be carried out in partnership with local Parish Councils and under agency arrangements with Derbyshire County Council.


Different types of open space require different levels of maintenance, so the frequency varies according to the location.
In areas such as closed cemeteries, public open spaces, play areas and grass verges you can expect the grass to be cut on average every two weeks between March and October, dependent on weather conditions. On vacant open area sites we will cut the grass at least once a month from March to October, again dependent on weather conditions.


Road safety is our main concern and at places where visibility is important we cut accordingly. Verges are cut on average twice every month between March and October.
We are also aware of our responsibilities towards increasing biodiversity, so we cut in a way that allows animals and wild flowers to enjoy their natural habitat, while still making sure safety is a priority.

Assisted Gardening

If you are a Council tenant and are not physically capable of maintaining your own garden and have no family in the area you may be able to get assistance from us. Assisted Garden Maintenance is only awarded to Rykneld Homes / Council tenants who don't have any friends or family within North East Derbyshire who can tend to their garden and who meet one of the following criteria:

  • Have a terminal illness and live on your own;
  • Are older than 80 years of age and live on your own;
  • Have a severe physical impairment;
  • Have a severe sensory impairment;
  • Are supported by a carer from a recognised agency.

Each case is determined on its own merits and it may be necessary for us to visit to assess your application.

The service includes the Council carrying out the following: 

  • Cut your grass 12 times a year between mid-March to mid-October;
  • Cut boundary hedges once during the Autumn/Winter period;
  • Treat vegetation along grass boundaries before the grass cutting season.

Council tenants can apply for the service by completing the application form, with as much information as possible to help us assess the application, enclosing relevant copies of any supporting evidence and returning the completed application to the address on the form.  If you need any help filling the form out or require any further information, please contact the Grounds Maintenance team.  To request assistance filling out the form, or to request a copy of the form to be posted to you, you can fill in a general enquiry form via our ‘Contact Us’ button.

Council tenants who are not entitled to receive a free assisted gardening service can receive the service if they pay the service charge, or make their own maintenance arrangements. 

Tree Pruning and Hedge Cutting

We undertake a programme of cutting, pruning and conservation to maintain our trees, hedges and other aspects of the natural landscape. We trim hedges bordering the highway at least once a year, as well as the hedges of infirm Council tenants on the Assisted Garden Maintenance Service. Trees will be examined regularly and maintenance work carried out as necessary. Health and safety of the public is a priority and also that of the natural environment.

If you wish to carry out work to a tree on your own property, or wish to carry out work to a tree which overhangs your boundary under common law right, you are advised to check if the tree is covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or is in a conservation area.  If the tree is covered by a TPO or is in a conservation area you must contact Planning before you do any work. Applications for work on trees in conservation areas usually take up to six weeks of receiving the application. Applications for work on trees covered by a TPO will be dealt within eight weeks of receiving the application. 

Our team of gardening experts provide a full range of services to keep your garden looking at its best. Please get in touch so that we can provide a quote to look after your garden, whether it is privately owned or rented.

We offer:

  • Hedge trimming
  • Grass cutting
  • Tree pruning and felling works
  • Shrub and border maintenance

All work is undertaken to a professional standard so you can rely on us to look after your garden. You can request to be put on our assisted garden list by filling in a general enquiry form using the ‘Do it Online’ button.

We manage and maintain four cemeteries at:

There are other cemeteries and open churchyards in the District, which are managed by the Parish Council or local church. 

Cemetery records

We can provide photocopies or scanned copies the records on request, for a fee - contact us for details.  

Maintaining our cemeteries

Unfortunately ground settlement is unavoidable; we will monitor graves for 6-12 months after the funeral to ensure that soil levels are maintained. After settlement we will prepare the soil surface and sow grass seed over the area, in keeping with the surrounding cemetery grounds, and will keep our cemeteries up to the highest standard possible. This will include:

  • Mowing grassed areas
  • Maintaining boundary hedges and fences
  • Maintaining floral gardens of remembrance 
  • Maintaining levels of the grave plots to harmonise with the surrounding grassed areas
  • Keeping the cemetery clean and tidy
  • Maintaining trees and shrubs (excluding unauthorised plantings)
  • Removing spent floral tributes
  • Removing Christmas wreaths (these will be removed in late February to early March prior to the onset of grass cutting operations)
  • Safety inspections of memorials
  • Maintaining accurate records of interments 

We are currently carrying out inspections to memorials in the district's cemeteries, to ensure the grounds are safe for visitors and council employees.


Memorials must be approved in advance by us, and installed by a memorial mason from our approved list and in accordance with National Association of Memorial Masons (NAMM) Code of Working Practice. 

Because of unavoidable ground settlement, we advise that headstones are not placed for at least 6 months after a burial has taken place; this will allow for thorough settlement and reduce movement of the headstone.

Application to fix a memorial Cemetery Rules
Burial Ground Memorials Safety Danesmoor cemetery burial fees
Danesmoor cemetery monument fees 2018-19  Memorial Application Form
Danesmoor fees Interment NEDDC 2018-19
Memorial Safety Guidance Cemetery Rules



You can report a dead animal using the Do it Online button on this page.

Our street cleansing team will collect dead animals from the highways and footpaths throughout the District. All livestock carcases must be disposed of at Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) approved premises.

Abandoned vehicle reports are increasing. If you abandon a vehicle you could receive a fixed penalty of £200 or face prosecution. Remember, unless your car is a complete wreck, it might still be worth something, so you should consider scrapping it or donate it to charity.

To report an abandoned vehicle, visit our Do it Online pages. Please ensure you do not report a vehicle that is not abandoned as it takes up valuable time to investigate.

Where a vehicle's causing an obstruction, or is dangerously parked, you should call the police on 101. 

If it is in relation to a parking offence then you should report it to Derbyshire District Council.

To report a vehicle that is untaxed or uninsured, please contact the DVLA.

There is strict criteria that a vehicle must meet in order for us to consider it as abandoned. If a vehicle meets the criteria and does appear to be abandoned we will work with the DVLA to identify the owner. We may serve a notice giving the owner between 24 hours and 7 days to remove it (depending on the condition of the vehicle). If a vehicle is assessed as being in a dangerous condition i.e burnt out or a wreck, it will be removed immediately.”

You can report dog fouling to us by using the Do it Online form found here.
Dog fouling is a major problem, and one we are actively targeting to reduce. Please report any dog fouling incidents via the link here.

If you are a dog owner, some of the responsibilities you should adhere to are:
  • Carry a means to clear up mess after your dog. Poop bags are available free from Council Offices.
  • Dispose of the waste correctly. 
  • Never let your dog out in public on its own.
If you’re dog is picked up by our Dog Warden you will have to pay to get your dog back. If you are caught letting your dog foul without clearing it up you may face a fixed penalty notice of £50 or a court fine up to £1,000.
Please report incidents of dog fouling via our ‘Do it Online’ service, where you will be treated in confidence. Please provide as many details as you can to help our enforcement staff convict the offenders.
Go to top