Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
 Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Contact Us

Contact Us

Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor

Find My...

Find My...



Contact Us

North East Derbyshire District Council
2013 Mill Lane
S42 6NG
Telephone 01246 231111

How to Find Us

Useful and Emergency Contacts

We speak your language. Call us on 01246 231111 and we will arrange a telephone discussion with an interpreter using Language is Everything

You TubeInstagram

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

The scheme is aimed at first time buyers only who can afford mortgage payments but not the initial deposit.

The Local Authority can provide a mortgage deposit bond guarantee. A top-up indemnity to the value of the difference between a lower loan-to-value (LTV) mortgage (i.e. 75% - requiring a 25% deposit) and a 95% LTV mortgage. The potential buyer will thereby obtain a 95% mortgage on similar terms as a 75% mortgage, but without the need to provide the substantial deposit usually required.

In addition to meeting the mortgage application criteria required by Leek United Building Society, applicants must also comply with the Authority's local criteria:

• Maximum property value in North East Derbyshire District Council area of £175,000 and in Bolsover District Council area of £150,000.
• Property must be located within North East Derbyshire district Bolsover district.

Further information or enquiries please see the Leek United Building Society website. Or alternatively customers can call into their local Leek United branch or call the Society at the Head Office on 01538 380047 or at the Derby Branch on 01332 344708. Please see the attached factsheet for additional information.


Basic bank accounts


Basic bank accounts are aimed at giving everyone access to banking facilities.  They are a basic, no frills account and are available from all major banks.


If you don’t currently have a bank account or, if you are not able to get a standard current account, you should look into basic bank accounts as an option.  For further information please view the attached PDF and visit the Money Advice Service website.




Mortgage Difficulties


Anyone can get into mortgage difficulties, and it can happen for many reasons, for example:


  •          Unemployment
  •          Illness
  •          An increase in mortgage rates
  •          Family breakdown/Separation
  •          The arrival of a new baby
  •          The loss of overtime - and several others. 

If you start to get into mortgage arrears do not panic; but do recognise that it will not just go away, and you need to take action as soon as possible by contacting the lender, Citizens Advice Bureau or the Law Centre.If you live in the District of North East Derbyshire and have a problem paying your mortgage and you want to talk to someone about how to prevent losing your home, you can Contact the Housing Options team or the following organisations; 

NE Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau  telephone 0300 4568437   

Derbyshire Law Centre  telephone: 01246 550674 or Freephone 0800 7076990   

Don't get bitten by a loan shark!

Loan sharks are illegal moneylenders. If you have financial problems do not borrow from a loan shark.You can get free financial advice in confidence from North Derbyshire Citizens Advice Bureau and Derbyshire Law Centre.  They can help you re-organise your debts and contact your creditors to make reasonable offers that you can afford.

For more information visit the Stop Loan Sharks website www.stoploansharks.co.uk  or to report a loan shark you can telephone: 0300 555 2222.

Alternatively you can contact your local Public Protection Project Team, telephone: 01332 644 000.

These agencies will help you for free and will be in strict confidence.

Loan sharks will take your money over and over again!




From October 2018 selected authorities must refer people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to local authorities. 


The Government have issued guidance on the Duty to Refer and this can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/homelessness-duty-to-refer


If you are homeless now, or are threatened with being made homeless within the next 56 days please contact the Housing Options team for advice as soon as possible on 01246 231111 or complete the online enquiry form.

They may also be able to help with problems such as  harassment and illegal eviction or domestic violence  and can put you in touch with other agencies that offer support and advice.

The legislation around homelessness has changed with the introduction of the Homelessness Reduction Act (HRA 2017) from April 2018. For more information on the new changes please read the Homeless how can we help guide.

Guidance explaining the new homelessness legislation changes can be found in fact sheets produced by the Government and in further detail in the new Homelessness Code of Guidance which sets out what Local Authorities in England must follow to deliver the required homelessness services.

Fact sheet

Code of guidance 

We have a Deposit Guarantee Scheme for those who are homeless or threatened with homelessness to help finance a new rental property. For more information on Landlord deposit scheme click here and New application deposit scheme click here.  If you need more information please contact  Jo Richardson at the Housing Options team on 01246 231111

We have a number of dedicated information leaflets available for people to access. Each leaflet has a range of contact information for support services and agencies that can help you if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. Each leaflet also gives advice on how the council can help you.

Care leavers and former care leavers

Homeless or threatened with homelessness after leaving Hospital

Advice for forces and ex forces personnel

Homeless when released from prison

What is Domestic Abuse leaflet

Suffering with a mental illness

If you are worried about paying your rent or mortgage the Derbyshire Law Centre and Shelter can provide advice to help prevent problems getting out of hand.

You can contact Derbyshire Law Centre:

You can contact Shelter on:

The Housing Options team can also help people who are sleeping rough in NE Derbyshire during the freezing weather.

Under normal circumstances the council has to assess if a person is deemed to be homeless under set criteria – but this is suspended when temperatures fall below zero for three consecutive nights and the council can offer emergency shelter, for help telephone 01246 231111 or contact the Out of Hours Service if the Council is closed.

For more information on sleeping rough please visit the Streetlink website. 

Out Of Hours Service 

Call Derbyshire is the "Out of Hours" service for homeless households in Derbyshire, if you require assistance when the Council is closed you can contact this team on:

0845 6058058 or 01629 532600

Council Properties

If you rent a council property and are having difficulties paying your rent, please contact Rykneld Homes in the first instance.

Share Ownership and Help to Buy Schemes

If you cannot afford to buy a home outright you may be able to get some financial help through a shared ownership scheme or Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme.  For more information on any of these schemes contact your local Help to Buy agent, Help to Buy Midlands, through the Help to Buy website at www.helptobuymidlands.co.uk , or telephone 03458 50 20 50 select option 2, or  via email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Register Providers Partners

Registered Providers are 'Registered Social Landlords' (not private landlords) who provide housing for rent and shared ownership in much the same way as councils do and are not-for-profit organisations. 

To rent one of the Housing Association properties, applicants will be nominated from the Councils' waiting list via the Rykneld Homes Choice Move team.  The properties will be allocated through the banding and bidding process and will be in line with the Councils' Choice Based Lettings and Allocations Policy.  

For more information about each Housing Association visit their website by clicking the links below:

Housing 21 Guiness Northern Counties
Equity Housing Group South Yorkshire Housing Association
Metropolitan ASRA Group 
East Midlands Housing  Derwent Living
Peak District Rural Housing Waterloo Housing Group



Renting a home from a private landlord or agent is a good housing solution and very flexible.  Often this is the first accommodation people live in once they leave home. 

The private rented market is very varied and the standard of accommodation and management can also differ greatly. We can give you guidance on the legal standards for private rented housing, advice on how to go about letting or renting a property and what to do if you have problems. We have a range of powers that can be used to ensure properties are safe and well managed and tenants are free from harassment and nuisance.

We can offer advice and guidance for people who are or are thinking about becoming private tenants, download the Private Renting for Tenants PDF for further guidance.

Disabled Facilities Grant

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

If you or a person living with you is disabled, you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to adapt your property to enable the disabled person to live as independently as possible.

Who can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

Owner- occupiers, landlords and a wide range of tenants can apply for a DFG. You can apply if you are the disabled person, the landlord of a disabled person, or someone living with a disabled person.

Private sector tenants require consent from their landlord prior to any works being carried out.

If you are a tenant of Rykneld Homes, please see the following link. https://www.rykneldhomes.org.uk/your-home/living-independently/adaptations/

Do I qualify for a grant?

The disabled person will need to have an assessment by occupational health at Derbyshire County Council, who will advise us what works are considered necessary and appropriate for your or their needs. If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs.

If Derbyshire County Council decide that adaptations are required, they will then forward recommendations to us and we will make sure that the works are reasonable and practical for your home.

What adaptations can be carried out?

Typical work may include-

  • Providing adequate wash facilities e.g. replacing a bath with a level access shower
  • Adapting heating and lighting controls, e.g. by placing them at wheelchair height
  • Facilitating access into the home or within it to the bathroom or bedroom, e.g. by a stair lift

How is the grant calculated?

Applicants must be financially means tested to assess whether you are required to make a contribution towards the works. Any contribution depends on your household income and household savings over £6,000. Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account.

The maximum grant payable is £30,000.

There are conditions to the grant which means that the amount of grant may be reclaimed if the property changes hands within the 10 year condition period. Any repayment will be limited to amounts that exceed £5000, but will not exceed a repayment of £10,000


How do I apply?

If you think you need an adaptation in your home contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 and press option 2 to arrange an assessment of your needs. If an adaptation is determined as necessary, your case will be referred to the District Council and we will contact you to progress your application.

If you wish to discuss this in more detail, please contact the Technical Support Team in Environmental Health on 01246 217873

Harassment and Illegal Eviction

Our Housing Options team assist people who are threatened with harassment and eviction and can offer advice on illegal eviction and private tenancies.Harassment and illegal eviction of tenants is a criminal offence, prosecuted by local authorities and the only way a tenant can be made to leave their property is via a court order. A person found guilty of harassment or illegal eviction faces a maximum fine of 5,000 pounds or up to 6 months in prison. They will also have a criminal record. Tenants can also take civil action and may win thousands of pounds in compensation

If you are suffering harassment or illegal eviction, you should ring the Housing Options team on the contact details below or visit our offices at Wingerworth preferably by appointment. If urgent problems arise outside office hours ring the police - tel: 01246 220100.

DASH Landlord Accreditation 

The Council invites landlords to join the DASH Landlord Accreditation Scheme.

The Council has worked in partnership with DASH (Decent and safe Homes) Services since 2005 and the landlord accreditation (formally known as EMLAS) is a region-wide scheme that encourages and rewards good property standards and management practice in the private rented sector.

Membership normally costs £99 however Landlords in North East Derbyshire are able to join FREE of charge and membership will last 3 years.

To join see the attached DASH leaflet for further guidance and complete the online application form. For further advice on private renting, tenants and landlords visit the websites below; 

ARLA website Counselling Directory Shelter Decent and Safe Homes (DASH)


 Housing Health and Safety Rating System - HHSRS

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is used to assess potential risks to the health and safety of occupants in residential properties.The assessment method focuses on the hazards that are most likely to be present in housing, tackling these hazards will make homes healthier and safer to live in.

Full information on HHSRS can be found on the Decent and Safe Homes (DASH) website. The Government has also issued guidance on HHSRS for landlords and other property related professionals.

HMOs - Houses in Multiple Occupation

A domestic property is a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) if the following applies:

 Your home is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) if both of the following apply:

  • at least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
  • you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants 

Your home is a large HMO if all of the following apply:

  • it’s at least 3 storeys high
  • at least 5 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
  • you share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants

The Governments website has the full definition and regulations for HMO’s. If you wish to apply for a HMO licence or require further information please contact us.
We are alerting local landlords who manage houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) to important forthcoming HMO property licensing changes.


From 1st October 2018 all Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s) with 5 or more occupiers living as 2 or more households, must have a HMO Licence from their local authority. Where a HMO is occupied by less than 5 people, it will not require a licence.

The Government have introduced this change to widen out the scope from the previous HMO licensing regime, which only applied to HMO properties of three storeys or above. 

When assessing a licence application, the Council will consider the suitability and condition of the building for the number of proposed occupiers, as well as the suitability of the proposed licence holder.  Applicants will need to demonstrate that fire safety arrangements are in place and adequate, and that the building has sufficient space and amenities. A list of required documents (such as current gas safety certificate and electrical installation condition report) will also need to be supplied for the application to be a valid one.

Landlords of relevant HMO properties must ensure that they submit an application for an HMO licence to the Council.  Applications can be made by contacting the Joint Environmental Health Service for an application form. Guidance on making an application is also available on the Council’s website. There is an initial application fee of £496 with a further fee when the licence is granted of £111 making a total HMO licence fee of £607 (we are under a legal obligation to split the fee). The HMO licence will last for up to 5 years.

There are significant financial penalties for landlords should applications not be made and if they continue to operate the HMO after 1st October 2018. If landlords do not have a licence, or breach HMO licence conditions, they are committing a criminal offence.

Landlords of properties who are already licensed under the previous HMO licensing scheme do not need to re-apply until their current HMO licence is close to expiry.

For further information please contact Joint Environmental Health Service on 01246 217877.


Park homes, mobile homes and caravans

Caravan sites may be residential, holiday or touring sites and if you use land as a caravan site you will almost always need to get planning permission and a site licence from us. For further information click here for the attached PDF.

Gypsies and Travellers

Everyone has rights, including Gypsies, Travellers and people on whose land unauthorised camping takes place. Gypsies and Travellers are protected from discrimination by the Race Relations Act 1976, together with all ethnic groups who have a particular culture, language and values, including white and black people.

We will deal with calls about illegal camping on council property and work with other agencies to try and balance the rights of all of those involved by following the Derbyshire Inter-Agency Guidance on dealing with illegal encampments. A copy of the guidance is attached. For a quick guide see the questions and answers PDF attached.

Useful Contacts:

Telephone Numbers Website Links
Derbyshire County Council: 01629-580000 extension 7384 Friends, Families & Travellers
Derbyshire County Council Traveller Liason Officer 01629 538466

Derbyshire Gypsy Liason Group

 Derbyshire Police: 101 - non-emergency number

Department for Communities and Local Government


Go to top