The main menu is currently hidden off screen.

Body Worn Video

The Council’s use of body worn video is covered in its policy on the Use of Overt Surveillance Systems (.docx | 850kb).

What is Body Worn Video (BWV)?

Body Worn Video (BWV) cameras are cameras used for a variety of purposes and are an effective way of reducing crime and protecting public safety.

What is a BWV request?

A Body Worn Video (BWV) request is a request for information relating to BWV images that a public authority holds.

The Council adheres to the ICO's Code of Practice. We also have strict internal controls in place to ensure that only authorised individuals can view and handle footage.

How do I ask for information?

Normally we receive request for BWV directly from the Police or insurance companies but if you would like to request some BWV footage that captures yourself you can do this by submitting a BWV request to the Council for consideration.

Please note that footage is only kept for a prescribed time period typically between 14 and 30 days depending on the scheme and other individuals will be pixelated out of the footage to protect their identity. You may wish to contact us before submitting your request to discuss your requirements and to check the retention period for the scheme in question.

You must put your request in writing

  • By email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Download a SAR Form (.pdf | 296kb)
  • By writing to the Performance Team, North East Derbyshire District Council, 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Derbyshire.

You will need to provide the following information

  • Your contact details including name and address.
  • A description of the data you require including the date and time range for the footage to enable us to search for the image2 forms of ID (passport / driving licence / utility bill) to identify who you are. One of these needs to contain a photograph for image recognition purposes.

We ask for this information as we need to be sure that you are who you say you are before releasing any personal data to you.  Once we are in receipt of a verified request we will send you an acknowledgement including the timescales for a reply.

Do I have to pay for the data?

No. We will normally provide a copy of the data free of charge. However, we can charge a ‘reasonable fee’ when a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if it is repetitive. We may also charge a reasonable fee to comply with requests for further copies of the same data. Any fee will be based on the administrative cost of providing the data.

How long will it take to receive the data?

We will respond to your request within one month of receipt.

What to do if you aren't satisfied with the response

Firstly, contact the Performance Team and ask for an internal review if you are unhappy with the way your request was handled. We will deal with your internal review under our Corporate Compliments, Comments and Complaints Policy (.pdf | 300kb).

If you are still dissatisfied after an internal review has been conducted you can escalate your request to the Information Commissioners Office:

  • Address:
    Information Commissioner's Office,
    Wycliffe House,
    Water Lane,
    SK9 5AF.
  • Telephone: 0303 123 1113
  • Website: