The main menu is currently hidden off screen.

Clean and Green Neighbourhoods

Parks and recreation grounds

cleaner greener parks tier two header

We manage and maintain the district’s parks, recreation grounds and green open areas, in partnership with local parish councils. This includes:

  • Playgrounds
  • Recreation grounds and sports pitches
  • Private and council housing estates
  • Cemeteries and churchyards
  • Flower beds
  • Shrub and rose gardens
  • Highway verges
  • Trees

This is carried out by our Grounds Maintenance Team. For more information about this service please visit our maintenance webpages.

Parks and playgrounds

There are parks, playgrounds and open spaces all over the district, some provided by us and some by the local parish or town council. All our playgrounds are free to use and most have ‘safer surfacing’ around equipment to help cushion the impact of any slips, trips and falls.You can find the location of our playgrounds using our online map.The playgrounds we maintain are visited every month to check that they are safe and in good condition. We will respond urgently to reports of broken equipment, vandalism or broken glass etc. Contact us on the number below to let us know if there’s a problem with one of our play areas.


We look after trees which are on our own land, and also those on highway verges in parts of Clay Cross, Dronfield, Eckington and Killamarsh. Through our planning system, we make sure trees are protected - to enhance our environment and improve the quality of life for people. For more information visit the conservation pages..

Garden maintenance for Rykneld Homes housing estates

We offer a gardening service to the following groups of Rykneld Homes tenants:

  • People supported by a carer
  • People aged over 80 and live on their own
  • People who have a severe physical / sensory impairment
  • People who are terminally ill and live on their own.
  • People supported by a carer from a recognised agency

The service provided is up to 12 times from mid-March to mid-October. We do not remove the grass cuttings and sweep grass clippings from housing paths after grass cutting. We also trim hedges once during the autumn and winter months. We apply herbicide to control grass growth around boundaries and obstacles before we start to cut the grass in March.Trees on the open spaces and open plan frontages of council housing estates are inspected and pruned, where necessary, on a three to five year cycle. Other gardening services may be available on request, such as grass seeding small areas of garden and tree pruning in enclosed gardens; these services are subject to tenants meeting the criteria for the service.


The council runs and manages four cemeteries in the district at Danesmoor, Killamarsh, Hasland and Temple Normanton.

How do I arrange a burial? If you need to arrange a burial at one of the above cemeteries, please contact us on the number below or download a form on our website.


If you would like a memorial for a grave, you can arrange this via one of our Approved Memorial Masons. A list is available upon request.

Recycling and waste minimisation

cleaner greener recycling tier two header

Using your Burgundy Bin

Your Burgundy Bin can be used to recycle flattened cardboard, paper, envelopes, newspapers, magazines, junk mail, mixed plastics i.e. bottles, food trays, yoghurt pots, margarine tubs etc, clean food and drinks cans, clean glass jars and bottles, clean foil trays, clean aluminium foil and empty aerosols, and waxed food packaging i.e. milk cartons, fruit juice containers. You can put in textiles and shoes, contained in a securely tied clear plastic bag. Shredded paper can also be put in the bottom of the bin, weighted down by other papers. You can also put in used domestic batteries, e.g. AA, in a securely tied clear plastic bag, on the top of the bin. Please do not put carrier bags (other than those used to contain textiles or batteries), film, expanded polystyrene, food, garden waste, nappies, wrapping paper, greetings cards, or other household waste in the burgundy bin. A reasonable amount of large cardboard packaging can be left at the side of the bin along with any excess recycling which can be left in clear plastic bags at the side of the burgundy bin on collection day. For all burgundy bin queries, visit the burgundy bin webpages.

Green Bin scheme

The green bin is for green waste and other biodegradable household waste. This includes garden waste such as hedge clippings and grass cuttings, vegetarian pet waste, e.g. sawdust / shaving used as bedding, and cooked and uncooked food waste, i.e. leftover fruit, salad, vegetative waste, egg shells, bread, pastries, pasta, meat, fish (raw and cooked – including bones), plate scrapings, tea bags and coffee grounds. Food can be placed in paper bags manufactured to the British Standard EN13432 only, not plastic bags, or just placed unwrapped in the bin. Please make sure the correct waste goes in your green bin as we will not be able to collect contaminated bins. Please do not put any burgundy bin recycling, wallpaper, wrapping paper, stone, rubble, soil, turf, dog or cat waste, nappies, bin liners, carrier bags, polystyrene, timber, plywood, ashes or other household waste in the green bin. Please do not use any bags other than paper bags manufactured to EN13432 in your green bin. For all green bin queries, visit the green bin webpages.


Derbyshire County Council, in partnership with Even Greener, provide a scheme were you can order great value compost bins and accessories. You can order a compost bin by: calling 0800 316 4454 quote ref: DBY12L, Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - alternatively, you can phone Derbyshire County Council on 08456 058058 for an order form. Schools can also enquire about free compost bins.

Refuse collection

cleaner greener refuse collection tier two header

We collect waste from around 48,500 households in the district. We run an alternate week collection service, with a fortnightly kerbside (Burgundy Bin) collection service for recyclable plastics, tins, bottles, papers cards and textiles. How is my bin collected? You need to put your bin at the kerbside (or at an agreed collection point) on your usual collection day. Please make sure that:

  • Your bin is put out on the right day before 6.30am.
  • The lid is fully closed.
  • Your bin isn’t overloaded with heavy waste (e.g. soil, bricks or rubble).
  • You don’t put out extra rubbish (side waste) with your black or green bin as it won’t be collected. (Side waste is accepted with the burgundy bin only.)
  • Your car won’t obstruct our collection vehicle.
  • Your green and burgundy bins do not contain waste which shouldn’t be there.

What if I forget to put my bin out?

You will miss your collection and it won’t be emptied until the next scheduled day i.e. if you miss your black bin collection, you will have to wait two weeks until the next time your black bin is due to be emptied. In exceptional circumstances, we may consider a one off collection but we will not be able to specify a day when this will happen and the bin will need to be left in an easily accessible position.

Can I have a replacement bin?

If your bin has been damaged by our collection vehicle and cannot be repaired we will provide you with a new one free of charge. If it has been stolen we can deliver a new one, however you will be charged for the new bin. As this is theft, this should also be reported to the police immediately. You might be able to claim on your house insurance. If you move into a property and there is no bin on site, you will be charged for the new bin(s).

What if I have a large family?

If there are six or more permanent residents in your house you may qualify for an extra bin, as long as you meet all other relevant conditions – for example, that you are recycling as much as possible. An application form needs to be completed and you may receive a visit from our recycling promoter to assess your waste needs. There is a one off non-refundable fee in payment for the extra capacity of waste to be collected. You can use the extra bin for whilever you qualify for the extra capacity. You can also apply if there are other exceptional circumstances that mean you have a higher level of waste than normal. We will consider each case individually.

What if I need help to put my bin out?

If there is no-one in your home who can take your bin out, you may qualify for the assisted collection service. Our crew will collect and/or return your wheeled bin from your property.We will only do this if there is no other able bodied person available to regularly take the bin to the kerbside. A temporary service may also be available to cover short term incapacity. An application form would need to be completed for every resident in the household. Application forms are available online on our website.

What if I have large items for collection?

We offer a service for the removal of bulky items from outside your home, to help people who cannot take the larger items of furniture, household and garden waste to their local Household Waste Recycling Centre. There is a charge for this service (which is payable upfront) but concessionary rates are available for people on benefits. You would need to present your items on the collection day at the front of your property, as near to the curtilage as possible, for 6.30am. Items from round the back of properties, can also be removed, however this would be on a quotation only basis and no discounts would be given. We do not enter properties to remove any waste on the bulk service. If you need a full house clearance you could use a private company that provides this service. You can find companies who do this in Yellow Pages or online – try under House Clearance. However, residents should check that the company they chose are a registered waste carrier.

What if I have clinical / medical waste?

If you have a sharps box, you should take this to your GP surgery for them to arrange the disposal. We collect clinical waste from residents on instruction from the Area Health Authority. Please contact your health care professional (district nurse, GP or surgery nurse) who will complete a waste assessment form and email it to us. A member of staff will then contact you with the collection arrangements.

I run a business. How do I dispose of my waste?

All businesses have a legal duty to make sure they have proper and adequate arrangements in place to deal with the disposal of waste arising from their commercial trading activity. Our commercial refuse service is available to most companies and businesses, including schools and residential/nursing homes in NE Derbyshire. There is a charge for this service – the cost will depend on the volume of waste produced, number of containers, access arrangements and possibly the type of waste generated. There are a range of containers available to suit different waste disposal needs. Please contact the trade waste section for further information on (01246) 593049.

Stray dog collection and kennelling service

cleaner greener stray dog tier two header

Our Enforcement Team respond to a range of dog-related issues, including tackling dog fouling, reuniting lost dogs with owners, kennelling strays and ensuring dog owners comply with collar and tag, and microchipping legislation. They enforce the district wide Dog Management Public Spaces Protection Order which can be found on our website. Our job is to encourage responsible dog ownership and to take enforcement action where necessary. If you are a dog owner you must keep your pet under control at all times, and not allow it to stray. This means keeping it on a lead when out and about in public places. Your dog must wear a collar and identification tag with your name, address and telephone number, even if it is micro chipped - or you could face a fine of up to £500.

Dog fouling

Dog faeces carry harmful infections, and is unpleasant. Failing to clear after your dog is a breach of the Public Spaces Protection Order for which an offender can receive a £100 fixed penalty notice. If you are a dog owner, always clean up after your dog and make sure you either take it home with you or put it in a dedicated dog waste bin. If you witness a dog fouling incident and can identify the person responsible please report it. We can use your evidence to take enforcement action. You can report dog fouling online or call Environmental Health on (01246) 231111.

Lost a dog

If you have lost your dog chances are the finder is trying to return it to you. Check local social media groups and report a lost dog to us online. If we have collected it as a stray but it hasn’t been transferred to our kennels we will return it to you at no cost.

Please bear in mind that even small dogs can cover several miles, so if you live near the border with another Council, report your missing dog to them also.

Stray dogs

A finder of a stray dog is obliged to forthwith return the dog to its owner or report it to the local authority. If we collect a stray dog and are unable to identify an owner it we will keep it safely at our kennel. Dogs will only be released when the owner pays the release and kennelling fees and any other costs we have incurred. If a dog isn’t claimed after seven days we will attempt to re-home it. We do not deal with stray dogs found outside our district. Dogs found within a different Authority area should be reported to them.

Finders keeping a stray dog

Occasionally the finder of a stray dog may wish to keep it if the owner doesn’t come forward. A Council Officer will visit the finder (usually within one working day) to discuss the care of the dog and explain the finders legal responsibilities. If you choose to keep the dog the law requires you to do so (unless it is claimed by its owner) for not less than 28 days and that failure to comply with this obligation is a criminal offence.

Collar and tag

If you are a dog owner you must keep your dog under control at all times, and not allow it to stray. Your dog must wear a collar and identification tag with your name, address and telephone number, even if it is micro chipped – and or you could be prosecuted and face a fine of up to £5000.


All dog owners must ensure their dog is microchipped under The Microchipping of Dogs (England) Regulations 2015 and their details are kept up to date. You must therefore ensure that your microchip details are correct at all times by updating your registration if you:

  • Change your contact telephone number
  • Move to a new address
  • Pass the dog on to a new owner

Failure to do so could result in our Enforcement Team serving you with a legal notice, and you could receive a fine up to £500 for failing to comply.

Reporting a stray dog

Monday to Friday (9am to 3.30pm) please report stray dogs to Environmental Health on (01246) 231111 or online, via self-service on our Council website. Our Enforcement Officers will attempt to collect it during these hours. Outside these hours (all other times, including weekends) you can still report online or contact Bolsover District Council on (01246) 242424 where we will gather your information and the Enforcement Officer will arrange to collect the next working day. If it is the weekend, you will be given the details for the kennels so you can arrange to transport the dog directly if necessary. If the dog appear to be dangerous, do not attempt to contain it and report it to the Police on 101.

Dangerous dogs

It is a criminal offence for the owner of a dog - or the person in control of the dog at the time if this is not the registered owner - to allow it to be dangerously out of control either in a public place or on private property. By law, a dog doesn’t have to carry out a physical attack to be considered dangerous. It is also considered dangerously out of control if it causes a person to fear being harmed by the dog, even if harm or injury is not actually caused. To report a dangerous dog call the Police on 101. There are currently four banned breeds in this country:

  • Pit bull terrier-type
  • Tosa – a Japanese breed
  • Fila Braziliero, or the Brazilian mastiff
  • Dogo Argentino, or the Argentine Dogo

If a person has, or is breeding, selling, giving away or advertising for sale a banned breed of dog, then you can also call the Police on 101.

Barking dogs

If you want to complain about a continuously barking dog, you can report this online on our website or call Environmental Health on (01246) 231111.

Contact us

For more information contact Environmental Health on (01246) 231111 or visit the website. You can also contact the Police on 101.

Street cleansing

cleaner greener street cleansing tier two header

We clean roads, footpaths, car parks and other public areas across the area to keep our district clean and healthy. We are responsible for:

  • Removing litter and detritus
  • Sweeping roads and footpaths
  • Removing fly-tipped waste
  • Removing dead animals from the highway
  • Cleansing highway surface water drainage gullies
  • Emptying litter and dog waste bins

When reporting any street cleansing matter, please give us as detailed a description of the area as possible to ensure we can clear the item(s). We can also take action against people who commit ‘enviro-crimes’ such as littering, fly-tipping or dog fouling – with fines for people who break the law, through our Environmental Health Section. We are not responsible for the street cleansing maintenance on private land. We would refer this to the Environmental Health section for them to contact the landowner in order for them to arrange the relevant maintenance. We also carry out private street cleansing work, e.g. sweeping car parks. For more information on private works contact our Clean and Green Line on (01246) 217610.


Litter is an eyesore, is expensive to clear up and attracts insects and vermin. Small amounts of discarded rubbish are classed as litter, but larger quantities are considered as ‘fly-tipped waste’ and are dealt with differently.

Litter and dog waste bins

We empty bins in areas which fall under our responsibility, e.g. on the highway or land that we own. Local Parish Councils are responsible for the control of litter on their own recreation grounds, open spaces and land they own. You can ask us to consider installing a new bin – or ask for an existing waste bin to be replaced – by calling us on the number below. We’ll need to know why you think a bin is needed, and then visit the site to decide if there is a need and, if so, what kind of waste bin would be best. If the request for a bin is on Parish Council land, we would contact them, on your behalf, with your request and see if they are prepared to install the bin. Requests for dog bins should also go through your local Parish Council in the first instance. Fly-tipping This is the illegal dumping of waste on public or private land. Waste should only be disposed of on land that is controlled by a waste management licence. If the waste is on the public highway or on our own land we will clear it away, usually within five working days. We will search the fly-tipped items to try and find any identification of who has committed the offence. If you see anyone fly-tipping please contact us on the number below as soon as possible and give as much detail as you can – such as the registration number of the vehicle etc. If the fly-tipping is on private land this will usually take longer to clear as we have to contact the owners to get them to clear the waste.

If you discover fly-tipped waste you can report it online.

Discarded syringes / needles

If you find a discarded syringe or needle, do not touch it or let anyone else around you touch it, and do not put it in a litter bin, toilet or drain. Contact the council immediately. If you find a syringe or needle on private property the owner must be notified. If it is found in a public place, contact us and we will arrange a collection, please give us as detailed a description of the location as possible to ensure we can find the syringe quickly. A discarded syringe is usually collected within two hours. If you feel you want to help before then, follow the advice below:

  • Find a suitable container, preferably metal.
  • Wear heavy-duty gloves and pick up the syringe using tongs or tweezers, not scissors.
  • Pick up the syringe in the centre of the barrel.
  • Hold the tongs / tweezers in one hand and container in the other at arm’s length.
  • In a horizontal position place the object, sharp end first, into the container.
  • Turn the container vertically and let the syringe drop into the container.
  • If the container has a cap put it on.
  • Wash your hands thoroughly and keep the syringe safe until it is collected.

Gully cleaning

We clean highway surface water gullies in our district on behalf of Derbyshire County Council. Highway gullies on major routes are cleaned twice a year, with others cleaned once a year. If a gully is blocked or flooded please contact Derbyshire County Council for them to deal with. Blocked gullies can also be reported on Derbyshire County Councils website.