Register a Food Business

If you are planning to start a food business, you must register your premises at least 28 days before opening or producing food.  This applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home, and mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans.  Failing to register can result in legal action being taken against you.

You can register your food business via the online food registration form on the Food Standards Agency’s website. If you use two or more premises you will need to register all of them. If food premises are to be used by several catering businesses (for example a village hall or conference centre) the person who allows the premises to be used for this purpose is responsible for registering them.

Once we receive a completed food registration we will contact you to confirm some of the details and gather any additional information we need.  We will also plan an initial inspection at this point.

Food Safety Management

All food businesses are required to have a documented food safety management system based on the principles of HACCP. Although this may sound onerous a small catering business can get a free guidance pack called Safer Food and Better Business from the Food Standards Agency.

In partnership with the Food Standards Agency, we joined the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme, where a food hygiene rating for a food premises is established following an inspection and taking into account observations and discussions made during the visit.

Food Hygiene

We regularly inspect food businesses in our district to ensure their food hygiene and waste disposal methods are in order. If you have encountered an issue while visiting premises in the District, please get in touch so we can investigate.

Food Warnings and Recalls

To find out if there are any food recalls from products purchased in the UK, please see the latest food warnings from the Food Standards Agency.