We are seeking enthusiastic individuals, families and groups who want to build their own homes. We have a wealth of information available for you to help you make an informed decision to see if this is right for you.
We have a list of suitable land to develop and a register of individuals and groups interested in building their own homes. We want to see a range of property types taking shape across the District.
You may want to specialise in an eco-friendly property, look at “container” housing or consider a timber house kit. We are also encouraging projects of several properties being constructed together by local community groups.
Non-traditional house building can be cheaper than traditional construction. Have a look at what best suits your pocket and your aspirations.
There are 2 main types of construction in this concept:
- Custom Build: tends to be where you design your home with a specialist developer who then builds it. This can also include the developer building the “shell” up to say a watertight stage for you to then do all the internal work yourself.
- Self-Build: tends to be an individual or group completing a majority of the building work from the ground up, sometimes specialists are brought into complete jobs such as electrical or plastering work.
There are a lot of things to think about when building your own home! The options may be intimidating at first glance, but it is actually fairly straightforward when you take all the planning and design factors into consideration. We are able to help and offer advice:
Most of the common issues experienced by people building their own home can be avoided by working with an experienced architectural designer and qualified construction contractor. Whatever skills you have and whichever route you follow, building your own home can be an amazing experience.
- Register your interest with us online
- Download the Custom and Self Build Information fact sheet (.pdf | 500kb)
- Download the Custom Self Build Pro's and Con's poster (.pdf | 500kb)