Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor



Do it Online

Report a problem below or register for a secure account to save yourself time and help keep a track of your requests.

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

If you're planning to hold a Remembrance Day parade, you will need to apply for a temporary road closure.

Temporary road closures are needed if you plan to block off a road to traffic for an event, such as to hold a street party, fete or procession. 

In honour of Remembrance Day we are offering a streamlined, free temporary road closure for parades held on Sunday 10th November 2019.

How to apply

Application for Remembrance Day parade. Send any paperwork in the post. We've reduced our usual 12 week time limit to give you more time to get your application in, but notices can still take several weeks to process so please contact us as soon as you can. Please also contact Derbyshire Constabulary as soon as possible as you will need their help for blocking off the roads. The deadline for applying for a Remembrance Day Road Closure is Monday 9th September 2019.

What will it cost?

Nothing - we've waived our usual application fee.


You must contact local businesses if they may be affected by your parade. We're happy to discuss this with you.

Full Temporary Road Closures

If you're organising a bigger public event or are planning an event for a different time, you may need to apply for a full Temporary Road Closure - contact us to discuss the options as soon as you can.

Please note: Please apply without delay in order for your application to be processed in time, get in touch as soon as you can if you have any questions.

We are responsible for granting licences to the proprietors, operators and drivers of Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles. 

 If you are interested in obtaining a licence with this Council, you can find further information here

We are part of the ‘National Register of Refusals and Revocations’. This new register will allow licensing authorities to record details of where a taxi driver licence has been refused or revoked. It will allow our licensing team and other licensing authorities to check new applicants against the register. This will help to prevent people found not to be fit and proper in one area from securing a licence somewhere else through deception and non-disclosure. Any driver who has their licence refused or revoked by the council will have their details recorded on the register. Any details placed on the register will be held for a period of 25 years before being deleted.



Hackney Carriages may be the traditional London Cab style or may be normal saloon vehicles distinguishable by the fact that these vehicles are painted white with the exception of the bonnet and boot/tailgate which shall be black and will display a roof sign.


Private Hire vehicles are usually 'saloon type' vehicles and include mini buses with up to and including eight passenger seats and display a yellow and red plate on the rear of the vehicle. Both types of vehicle display a small window sticker of the relevant colour in the windscreen showing the licence details.

The basic difference between the two vehicles is that Hackney Carriages can be "flagged down" on the street or at a rank within the District where it is licensed and Private Hire Vehicles must be pre-booked through a Private Hire Operator. If a Private Hire Driver accepts a fare off the street without it being pre-booked, they are liable to prosecution. It is also important to note that anyone taking a journey in a Private Hire Vehicle which has been "flagged down" may not be insured for the journey.

  • o Vehicle Licences - All vehicles that are to be used as Private Hire Vehicles or a Hackney Carriage must be licensed by the local authority. We must be satisfied that the vehicle is roadworthy, has a valid MOT certificate (if applicable) and is insured for the appropriate use. You will also be required to provide evidence that you own the vehicle (vehicle registration document / logbook) or proof of purchase if the vehicle is newly acquired. Licences are granted for a period of six-months and your vehicle will need to be tested each time you apply. 
  • PLEASE NOTE: From the 1st January 2019 all new vehicle licences will contain a condition requiring the vehicle to display operator signage to the front doors of the licensed vehicle. The new licence condition will read: All private hire vehicles* and hackney carriages (undertaking pre-booked private hire work), shall at all times display a sign with the name of the private hire operator they are working for on the front doors of the vehicle. The sign may also include the telephone number or other contact details of the operator. The sign shall be a minimum of 15 inches (375mm) wide X 10 inches (250mm) high and the background and wording of the sign shall be of contrasting colours so as to enable the sign to be easily read. *excluding any vehicle issued with a valid plate exemption certificate by the Council.
  • Driver Licences – Anyone who drives a Private Hire Vehicle or a Hackney Carriage must be licensed by the same local authority that licenses the vehicle.  We must be satisfied that the driver is ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence. All drivers are required to complete a theory test (including local knowledge; basic maths and English; Highway Code; and legislation and conditions of licence), medical, practical driving test, safeguarding course and DBS criminal record & right to work in the UK checks. Driver licenses normally last for three years.
  • o Private Hire Operator Licences- Anyone wishing to take bookings for private hire vehicles must be licensed by the same local authority that licenses the vehicle they intend to operate. We must be satisfied that the driver is ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence. All operators are required to complete a safeguarding course plus DBS criminal record & right to work in the UK checks

 Applications for driver, vehicle and operator licences must be made on the appropriate form and be accompanied by the relevant fee and accompanying documentation. For further information or to obtain an application form please contact the Licensing Section by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  or calling 01246 217877.

 In September 2018 the local authority approved a revised Taxi Licensing Policy which is divided into five sections for ease of reference. The five sections are:




           Enforcement and Offences

           Equality Act

During October 2018 we wrote to all our licence holders to advise them of the key Policy changes and a copy of the letter can be found here

One key change to the new policy is the introduction of a new vehicle condition which will be added to all new private hire vehicle and hackney carriage licences. This will require the vehicle to have a basic inspection each day prior to use and the findings of the inspection will need to be recorded. To assist the trade we have produced a Daily Inspection Book which can be downloaded here


From the 1 January 2019 we will be introducing revised taxi licence fees and the revised fees can be found here.





As part of the Licensing Act 2003, we advertise applications for premises licenses, club premises certificates, variations and requests for reviews.

All applications are advertised for a period of 28 days, beginning the day after we have received the application. The exception to this is minor variations which are only advertised for 10 working days. All current advertisements are displayed below. 

Application for premises licence

Pilsley - deadline 7 November 2019




Application for a Premises Licence

Application Ref: 18/01017/LAPL01

Applicant:  Shirebrook Staff Sports and Social Club

Premises:  Shirebrook Staff Sports And Social Club, Langwith Road, Shirebrook, NG20 8TF

Application Details: The application seeks to authorise the following:




Sale by Retail of Alcohol

Monday to Thursday

11:00 – 01:00


Friday and Saturday

10:00 – 01:00



10:00 - 00:00

Regulated Entertainment

Monday to Thursday

11:00 – 01:00


Friday and Saturday

10:00 – 01:00



10:00 – 00:00

Late Night Refreshment

Monday to Saturday

23:00 – 01:00



23:00 – 00:00

Consultation deadline: 03 August 2018

Representations to: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

If your business provides any licensable activities - sell alcohol, hot food and drink, or provide certain types of public entertainment - you will need a licence from us. A public register is currently being compiled which will give details of all licences and certificates granted under the Licensing Act 2003.

A licensable activity can be:

  • the sale of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol at a club
  • the provision of regulated entertainment eg live or recorded music, dancing, indoor sporting event
  • the provision of facilities to allow regulated entertainment to take place
  • the provision of late night refreshment between 11 pm and 5 am.

There are four types of licences which you can apply for:

  • If you sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment, or late night refreshment, you should apply for a Premises Licence
  • If you are a club that supplies alcohol, regulated entertainment, or late night refreshment, apply for a Club Premises Certificate
  • If you supply or authorise the sale of alcohol, (other than in premises having a Club Premises Certificate) then you will need to apply for a Personal Licence
  • If you are organising a small scale (less than 500 people) event and intend to sell alcohol/refreshments or provide regulated entertainment, then you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).


Statement of Licensing Policy

The Council has recently reviewed its statement of licensing policy and the revised policy will come into effect from the 1 February 2019.

The Statement of Licensing Policy can be found here.

Responsible Authorities

Responsible Authorities have an important role to play within the Licensing regime, not only can they make representations in respect of licence applications, but they can also ask the Licensing Authority to review premises licences.

You must give a copy of any application form and a copy of the accompanying documents to the responsible authorities on the same day that the application form is given to the council. If you submit your application to the Licensing Authority electronically, then we will, in accordance with the legislation, send copies to the responsible authorities.

Contact details for the responsible authorities can be found here.’

Licensing Reviews
The operators of licensed premises are required to actively promote the four licensing objectives:


  1. Prevention of crime and disorder
  2. Prevention of public nuisance
  3. Public safety
  4. Protection of children from harm

Any interested party or responsible authority may call for the review of a premises licence if they believe that the licensing objectives are not being promoted.

Calling for a Review
Application for a review must be made on the Licensing Review (1kb) application form and submitted to us at Licensing Team, North East Derbyshire District Council, 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Chesterfield , Derbyshire S42 6NG. Copies must also be sent on the same day to the premises licence holder and to each of the responsible authorities. Failure to send these copies may render the application as invalid.

Application forms and further guidance

You can find out more information about the Licensing Act, licence fees, download application forms or apply for a licence on line here

Latest Promotion

OCTOBER leisure promo giff 2019

What's on

17 Oct 2019 13:00- 
 General Licensing Committee
05 Nov 2019 14:00- 
 Planning Committee
11 Nov 2019 15:00- 
14 Nov 2019 16:30- 
 Special Cabinet

Latest Tweets

Go to top