Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor



Do it Online

Report a problem below or register for a secure account to save yourself time and help keep a track of your requests.

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

 Animal Welfare - Consultation Draft Policy

We are responsible for the licensing and inspection of Animal Welfare establishments across the District and is commencing a period of consultation on an Animal Welfare Policy.

The draft policy sets out the application process, the inspection process, and how premises with lower star ratings can appeal these decisions.

General information on the Animal Welfare Licensing regime, the Regulations and Government guidance can also be found here.

Consultation on the policy will run from Monday 8 July 2019 to Monday 5 August 2019.

Should you have any comments you wish to make please This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or sent to Animal Welfare Consultation, Joint Environmental Health Service, North East Derbyshire District Council, 2013 Mill Lane, Wingerworth, Chesterfield, S42 6NG.


Please be aware that a number of enforcement cases have arisen which has severely impacted on the Authority’s ability to process new license applications. Current licences remain valid, and until an officer can contact you in relation to your inspection/licence then please continue to trade as usual.

We will be progressing the inspection programme shortly, and an officer will be contacting you to enable the completion of the licensing process for your premises.




From the 1st October 2018, The Animal Welfare (licensing of Activities Involving animals) (England) Regulations 2018 came into effect.

A copy of the legislation can be found below

Licences for the following activities will be needed when carried out as a business with the exception of breeding. All activities will be assessed as to whether they need a licence. If you are unsure if you need a licence please contact Environmental Health. If you are trading illegally and then apply for a licence then this may impact on the consideration of your application.

  • Selling Animals as Pets
  • Providing or Arranging for the Provision of Boarding of Cats or Dogs Which includes:-
  • Cat boarding
  • Kennel Boarding for Dogs
  • Home Boarding for Dogs
  • Day Care Boarding for Dogs
  • Hiring Out Horses For Riding or Instruction in Riding
  • Breeding Dogs
  • Keeping or Training Animals For Exhibition

If you have a licence

If you have an existing valid licence, you don’t need to renew it until it expires. The application process does take 10 weeks so if you do not want a break in your licence term then you must apply at least 10 weeks prior to your current licence expiring.

If you have a dog boarding licence and also look after dogs in the day, you will need to obtain a licence for this activity too if the operation is different to the home boarding operation. I suggest you talk to your Officer.

If you have a performing animals licence, you’ll have to apply for one by 1st April 2019, even if your old one hasn’t expired by that date.

If you don’t have a licence or you need a new one

Application forms are available at the following locations and are activity specific. Each application form has an accompanying guidance document you will need to download and read and also the appropriate fees that need to accompany the application are also available.


The licence holder must be a named person who is not disqualified from holding a licence in accordance with the requirements of regulation 11 of the regulations. A person cannot apply for a licence if they have previously had a licence revoked under the Regulations or is disqualified from keeping an animal under any other legislation.

Application Forms and Fees

The following documents are application forms which are activity specific, and appropriate fees. Please note home boarding licences and day care licences are to be submitted on the animal boarding application. Licences for home boarding and day care cannot be run at the same premises.

Animal boarding form Breeding and sale of dogs
Dangerous wild animals Hiring out horses
Licensing of activities and fees involving animals Performing animals
Pet vending  

Fees and charges for licensing of activities involving animals

Guidance Documents

Guidance documents specific to each activity can be found at the links below.

For a copy of the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 and associated guidance documents for the relevant licensable Activities please see the table below.

Animal Welfare Regulations 2018 Animal Welfare Act 2006
Procedural Guidance for Animal Activity Licensing 2018 Change log to guidance
Guidance notes for Breeding Dogs 2018 Guidance notes for Boarding Dogs in Kennels 2018
Guidance notes for Home Boarding Dogs 2018 Guidance notes for Dog Day Care 2018
Guidance notes for Boarding Cats 2018 Guidance notes for Selling Animals as Pets 2018
Guidance notes for Exhibition of Animals 2018 Guidance notes for Hiring out Horses 2018

Public registers for animal licences 

Animal boarding list Animal breeding list
DWA list Pet shops
Riding establishments list Notification of Appeal
Request for Revisit and Rescore   

Latest Promotion

summer holidays infograph 2019

What's on

03 Sep 2019 14:00- 
 Planning Committee
09 Sep 2019 15:00- 
13 Sep 2019 10:00- 
 Communities Scrutiny Committee

Latest Tweets

Go to top