Advice and Assistance Open or Close
We are committed to regenerating our towns and villages and by attracting investment such as The Avenue new development it provides much needed job opportunities and helps improve the local economy. We are keen to support any development proposals, whether they are an existing business looking to expand or a company looking to relocate to our district. We also work very closely with developers and local businesses to make sure we maximise any employment, skills and training opportunities for the benefit of local people.
We have a team of people who will help to ensure developers and individuals receive good, factual advice, information and guidance to make their plans a reality and can also offer a bespoke support package to suit particular needs and will also provide an aftercare management service beyond project inception.
We also stage regular Business Network events throughout the year, giving businesses in North East Derbyshire the chance to share ideas and best practice, whilst also finding out about the latest funding streams or training opportunities available.
So if you have a business proposal or just want some help and advice, contact us now.
Sheffield City Region Local Enterprise Partnership have a programme known as the Sheffield Innovation Programme. The Sheffield Innovation Programme (SIP) is a regional initiative which aims to stimulate business growth and promote the development of long-term relationships with SME's by providing access to a broad range of academic expertise and university facilities.
The Sheffield City Region (SCR) is in the process of designing an integrated employment support service across the City Region. This event provides an opportunity for service providers to hear more about it and ask questions. The SCR will use the time to consult experts in the delivery space for employment support in order to shape our final delivery approach. To find out more and register your attendance, visit Eventbrite.
Apprentices Open or Close
Apprentices must be aged 16 or over and combine working with studying for a work-based qualification - from GCSE's or equivalent up to degree level. They are an excellent way to find eager employees who will be trained up to a high level in order to provide them with the skills needed to perform their job. We work with partners to promote and recruit apprenticeships within the District and you may be able to get funding to help employ an apprentice. The Apprentices can be new or current employees and more detail can be found on Gov.uk website.
Higher and degree apprenticeships are available at levels 4 to 7 and combine work with study and may include a work-based, academic or combined qualification or a professional qualification relevant to the industry. If you would like to find out more, please visit Gov.uk, Sheffield Hallam University or Derby University.
In April 2017 the way the government funds apprenticeships in England changed. Some employers will be required to contribute to a new apprenticeship levy, and there will be changes to the funding for apprenticeship training for all employers.
Meeting the Public Sector Apprenticeship Target
As an authority we have always been pro-active in encouraging young people to take up traineeships and apprenticeships to gain the necessary skills, qualifications and experience so they are work-ready.
The introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy April 2017 meant all public bodies with 250 or more staff had to employ an average of at least 2.3% of their staff as new apprenticeship starts.
We actively consider apprenticeships either for new recruits or as part of career development for our existing staff. For 2017/18 we had a target of nine apprentices, and we achieved seven with apprenticeships in Business Administration, ICT, Leisure Management, Activity Leadership, Accountancy, Horticulture, Plumbing, Automotive, Customer Service, Level 2 and Level 3.
For 2018/19 we have a target of 11 apprentices and are on target to achieve this.
Broadband Open or Close
We believe access to super-fast broadband is vital to improve life for residents and it is vital for businesses growth and long term job creation in the District, that's why we are working with Derbyshire County Council (DCC) to try and improve broadband services.
DCC's Digital Derbyshire programme is looking to improve the broadband infrastructure to allow better connection speeds and is working with BT to manage the rollout of BDUK funds to support greater access to faster connectivity. Digital Derbyshire also have a postcode tracker on their website so you can find out more about your area.
Superfast South Yorkshire Voucher Scheme
The Superfast South Yorkshire (SFSY) Connection and Innovation Voucher Scheme offers vouchers to small to medium sized enterprises (SMEs) to take up faster digital connectivity and to further support SMEs to introduce transformational innovations to the business that can improve business performance through faster digital connections.
The scheme is open to all eligible businesses in North East Derbyshire, with a deadline for applications of August 2018.
For more information, including the forms needed to apply, please visit their website:
Capital Growth Fund Grant Open or Close
- Available across the whole D2N2 area i.e. Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire including the two cities
- Open to trading businesses but not pre-starts.
- Can fund capital expenditure. Some exclusions e.g. vehicles, retail (usual ERDF exclusions) contact me if you have a query on eligibility
- Grants from £1,500 to £10,000, 30 % of eligible costs
- Would expect projects to create 1 job for grants £5,001 - £10,000, or at least 0.5 FTE job (18 hours/week) for £5,000 or below.
- Due to OJEU restrictions on this programme, we can’t accept an invoice from one supplier for more than £24,999.
We want businesses to apply as and when they are ready to proceed fairly quickly – therefore, we want applicants to progress their expenditure and claim their grant within 2-3 months of being made an offer. We would also expect them to create the job(s) within 6 months of grant offer.
Full details, T&Cs and link to the application process are on the EMB website. They can be accessed by following this link:
Want to know more? Contact Jane Weston on 01246 231111
Employment & Training Open or Close
Together with our partners we run a variety of schemes that help link local people with local jobs. These schemes include:
- Apprenticeships - We work with partners and educational establishments to provide apprenticeships and traineeships for local young people. If you are a business in the north east Derbyshire district and would like free 1-1 support in recruiting an apprentice, including funding, please contact Jane Weston, Employment and Skills Officer. Tel 07866681601.
- Employer Engagement Programme - We support developers and employers with recruiting local people, the provision of local companies within the supply chain and connecting them with schools, colleges and universities.
- Recruitment - North east Derbyshire businesses can promote their vacancies on the Sheffield City Region Jobs Board which is a free facility to support businesses find and retain talented and locally based employees. The specialist on line platform ensures that regional jobs rank higher within the principal internet search engines, thereby providing benefits to both local employers and job seekers. https://www.sheffieldcityregion.jobs/
- Workforce training - If you are an employer in the north east Derbyshire district and would like free 1-1 support with workforce training, including funding, please contact Jane Weston, Employment and Skills Officer. Tel 07866681601.
Funding Open or Close
To help businesses grow, we can provide access to or information on a variety of funding streams. The main ones for our District are:
- D2N2 Growth Hub - Grants to support and encourage economic growth in the area.
- LEADER - Funding of rural projects in the local area
- SCR Growth Hub - Support across six themed areas: Access to Finance; Skills and Training; Innovation; Export; Start-Up and Growth Demand.
For information on other funding streams please contact us.
Land and Property Open or Close
If you are looking for the ideal site or premises for your business, North East Derbyshire has an abundance of commercial/business space and development sites.
We continue to identify employment land, commercial space and social infrastructure to help our business base continue to grow. These include major development sites such Markham Vale, The Avenue and the St Modwen site in Clay Cross with the potential of land becoming available on the former Coalite Site.
Networking Open or Close
In our strategic document, 'Unlocking Our Growth Potential', we state that our ambition for the area is:
"We are committed to deliver faster sustainable growth and prosperity with opportunities for all to flourish and succeed."
To do this, the Council is working to help increase the number of new start businesses, attract inward investment and helping existing businesses to grow.
Regulatory Advice & Guidance Open or Close
Starting your own business can be a daunting prospect, with a number of requirements, many of them legal, needing to be met. This discourages many potential business owners from even beginning.
However, there is support available from a number of different agencies, who can help you to navigate through this, to give your fledgling business every chance of success. This section can link you through to those agencies.
In the first instance, it is recommended that everybody who is interested in starting a business, contacts the National Business Support Helpline, who can provide advice and guidance on a local and national level.
If you would also like some new premises for your business, please contact a member of the Economic Development team using the contact details on this page.