Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor



Do it Online

Report a problem below or register for a secure account to save yourself time and help keep a track of your requests.

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

For more information on letting your property, empty property advice or any queries see our Sustainable Tenancy Projects document, or contact Thomas Evans on 01246 231111.

We are committed to tackling the problem of empty properties in the region and support property owners to help bring homes back into use. If you are a landlord and would like us to help get your property back on the market either to sell or rent, or if you are a resident who has an empty property in our area; use our Empty Properties form to browse the properties available to rent or buy, as well as reporting properties that are empty in your area click here to view.

We have a dedicated Empty Property Officer who can help owners with letting or selling a property, and advise on:

  • Choosing an agent to manage the letting of your property, 
  • Selling the property through an estate agent or auction,
  • Help and advicewhen renovating a property, 
  • Advertising property to let or for sale,
  • Matching Service – we have a list of organisations that are looking to bring empty properties back into use. You can use this service if you are looking to sell, lease or let your property.

A property that has been empty for over 2 years could qualify for a reduction in VAT to 5% on renovation works to bring the property back into use. Properties empty for over 10 years could qualify for a reduction in VAT to 0% on renovation works!

We are keen to help empty property owners recycle their properties back into use, but where owners refuse or are unable to bring properties back into use more formal enforcement measures can be used, particularly where the property is causing anuisance.

You can report a property that has been empty for over 6 months by using our Empty Properties form here, emailing our Empty Property Officer, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or telephoning 01246 231111.

We are eager to speak to owners of empty properties and may be able to offer advice and assistance, if you own an empty property we would be grateful if you could complete the appropriate form below:

For further information you can view the Council's Empty Properties Strategy.   



Planning & Building Control

  • Building Control Open or Close
  • Conservation Open or Close

    In North East Derbyshire there are 30 designated conservation areas. It is the quality of the architecture, visual character and historic interest of these areas that makes them special and worthy of conservation. In making the assessment of an area, many factors are considered in determining its character and quality including:

    • The historic layout of property boundaries and thoroughfares.
    • The inter-relationship of buildings and spaces.
    • The mix of building and land use.
    • The architectural quality of individual buildings either grand such as town halls, churches and stately houses or vernacular such as workers cottages, water mills and barns.
    • The composition of building groups such as terraces, shops, farm complexes, almshouses or industrial complexes (such as mills).
    • Vistas into, from, through and around the area under consideration.
    • The interaction of the natural and the built environment.
    • The age and social history of the area and its buildings.
    • The use of materials in buildings, boundaries, paths and open areas.

    All of our conservation areas and boundaries can be viewed using the Find My.. mapping feature at the top of this page.

  • Custom and self build Open or Close

     We are seeking enthusiastic individuals, families and groups who want to build their own homes.

    Custom and Self build - pro's and con's

    We have a list of suitable land to develop and a register of individuals and groups interested in building their own homes. We want to see a range of property types taking shape across the District. You may want to specialise in an eco-friendly property, look at “container” housing or consider a timber house kit. We are also encouraging projects of several properties being constructed together by local community groups. Non-traditional house building can be cheaper than traditional construction. Have a look at what best suits your pocket and your aspirations.

    There are 2 main types of construction in this concept: -   Custom and Self-Build.

    1. Custom Build— tends to be where you design your home with a specialist developer who then builds it. This can also include the developer building the “shell” up to say a watertight stage for you to then do all the internal work yourself.
    2. Self-Build—tends to be an individual or group completing a majority of the building work from the ground up, sometimes specialists are brought into complete jobs such as electrical or plastering work. 

    Cost considerations

    There are a lot of things to think about when building your own home!   The options may be intimidating at first glance, but it is actually fairly straightforward when you take all the planning and design factors into consideration.


    Self-building is an adventure dictated by your own constraints. There is no denying that there will be challenges, frustrations and a lot of excitement along the way. We have yet to hear of anybody who has regretted their decision to self-build.

    Support websites

    Most of the common issues experienced by people building their own home can be avoided by working with an experienced architectural designer and qualified construction contractor. Whatever skills you have and whichever route you follow, building your own home can be an amazing experience.

    For more information / an informal chat or to register your interest, please complete the registration document and send to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Please also see our useful information fact sheet.

  • Planning Appeals & Applications Open or Close



    Please note we will be ceasing to take cheques for planning applications from 1st December 2019

    Please note that from 17 January 2018, the Government are introducing an increase of 20% on planning fees. You can read more about the statutory instrument on the Government's legislation website.


    All development must comply with approved planning policies, unless there are specific material considerations which would indicate otherwise. Publicity is given to applications in accordance with our published procedures, and all representations received are considered and taken account of in the determination process.

    Planning Applications can be submitted online through the Planning Portal.

    When an application has been made, checks are carried out to ensure that all information required to process the application has been received. If further information is required, the application will be made invalid and further information will be requested from the applicant/agent, e.g. an additional fee or additional plans.

    Most planning applications require a location plan and a site plan (also known as a block plan), to be submitted as supporting documents. You can Buy a Plan to support your application from the Planning Portal website.

    A Design and Access Statement is now required to be submitted with most Planning Applications. Further guidance on design and access statements can be found via the planning portal.

    For guidance on if you need to submit a planning application or not, please down load our Planning Application Guidance document.

    Search Planning Applications

    Details of all planning applications are held in the Online Planning System where you can find and comment on planning applications that are being considered near you. You can search for applications by property, application reference and even using a map. You can also track an application as it goes through the planning process.

    Please note: you must register with us if you want to comment online or track an application.

    All personal information provided to North East Derbyshire District Council will be held and treated in confidence in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018. It will only be used for the purpose for which it was given, however if you choose to comment on a planning application your name and address will be publicly available as part of the planning process.


    If your planning application has been turned down, you can appeal to The Planning Inspectorate.

    Please see the latest Appeals Register here.

    Before you appeal against a decision, you should speak to a Planning Officer to see whether or not an amendment to your original application could resolve the issues.

    The time limits in which you need to submit your appeal to the Planning Inspectorate are as follows:

    • Householder applications - the time limit to appeal is 12 weeks from the date of the notice of the decision or determination giving rise to an appeal.
    • In other cases, appeals should be submitted to the Planning Inspectorate within six months of the date of the decision notice giving rise to the appeal.
    • Where we have failed to make a decision, an appeal against non-determination can be submitted up to six months after the expiry of the period we had for dealing with the application.

    Where an Enforcement notice has been served on the same, or substantially the same, development the time limits to appeal are:

    • 28 days from the date of the refusal or the expiry of the period which we had to determine the application, where the enforcement notice is served before the application is submitted;
    • 28 days from the date of the refusal or the expiry of the period which we had to determine the application, where the enforcement notice is served before the decision on the application is reached or the determination period has expired; or
    • 28 days from the date the enforcement notice is served, where the enforcement notice is served after the decision or expiry of the period which we had to reach a decision on the application, unless the effect would be to extend the period beyond the usual time limit for cases not involving an enforcement notice, as outlined above.

    If you have any further enquiries regarding the information above, please use the contact us details on the right of this page to get in touch.

  • Planning Enforcement Open or Close

    If you consider that someone is carrying out development which may not have had planning permission, you should contact us immediately.  Any complaints received in this way, unconnected with a particular current planning application are confidential.

    Planning permission is granted subject to conditions.  Failure to comply with conditions that are laid out in planning permissions may result in the issue of a 'Breach of Condition Notice' which requires compliance with the terms of the condition within a certain amount of time.

    If the developer still doesn't comply with the requirements of a breach of condition notice this is a criminal offence and on conviction, the developer can be fined up to £1000. There is no right of appeal against a breach of condition notice.

    Where land or buildings are not properly maintained and their appearance becomes detrimental to the area, the Local Planning Authority may issue a notice under section 215 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended) requiring works to be carried out to address the damage to amenity. The power can range from removing rubbish from land to demolishing buildings and removing the demolition debris.

    There is a right of appeal against a notice issued under this section to the Magistrates Court. Failure to comply with the requirements of the notice constitutes a criminal offence subject on conviction to a fine not exceeding £1000, the authority is also empowered to enter land to carry out the works specified in the notice and reclaim costs from the land owner.

    For any further planning enforcement queries please contact us using the contact details on the right of this page.


    Please note, your personal information is only used to investigate alleged unauthorised breaches of planning control. Your details are kept secure and are not shared with any other party. For more information on how we use personal information please go to our privacy statement on our website here.


  • Planning Policy Open or Close

    The Planning Policy team deals with all matters concerned with the writing and interpretation of planning policies. This includes the 2001-2011 Local Plan, Draft 2011-2033 Local Plan, Supplementary Planning Documents and Other guidance, Authority Monitoring Report, Local Development Scheme, Statement of Community Involvement and Neighbourhood Planning. Self and Custom Build Housing can be found here. Please see the Local Plan pages for more information.

  • Trees and Hedgerows Open or Close


    There are 3 main ways that trees may be protected:-

    Tree Preservation Orders (TPO). These may be placed on trees which are visually important to the area, or trees which may be under threat from future development.  If you have trees on your property covered by a TPO, you must get permission to do any works to the tree, whether this is felling or pruning.

    Conservation Areas. If you are planning to fell or prune a tree in a Conservation Area you are required to give the council six weeks notice in writing of your intentions.  The council may either decide to raise no objections to your proposals or, if it wishes to retain the trees or have strict control over any pruning works, a Tree Preservation Order may be made on the trees.  If you have not heard anything within six weeks of the council receiving your notification, you may carry out the works.

    Planning Conditions may be put on the planning permission which require certain trees to be kept. It is also possible that conditions may be put on a planning permission requiring additional trees to be planted.  This may be to replace trees lost by the development, or to screen the development on the site from the surrounding area.


    Hedgerows can house some important species of wildlife and have a great impact upon biodiversity and habitat connectivity. The Regulations are intended to protect important hedges in the countryside. Anyone proposing to remove a hedge to which the Regulations apply must give the Council six weeks notice and give the reason for seeking to remove it. You must contact the Development Control team via the contacts box on the right of this page.

    High Hedges

    Part 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 gives local authorities powers to deal with complaints about high hedges. As long as you have made reasonable attempts to resolve your dispute, you can bring your complaint about your neighbour’s evergreen hedge to us. If you wish to make a formal complaint about a High Hedge, you should contact us to request the relevant application forms. You will need to pay a fee of £320 if you make a formal complaint. This is needed to cover the cost of the work in dealing with your complaint.

Benefits & Council Tax Support


  • Appeals Open or Close

    If you are unhappy with the decision made regarding your benefit, there are several options available to you.

    Do you think our decision is wrong?

    As soon as you get our decision letter you should check its content. If you think we have made a mistake. You can ask for more information.

    If you think that we have made a mistake you can request the following:
    That we look at our decision again, or that we pass your case to an independent tribunal that is run by the Tribunals Service, by appealing against the decision.
    If you want us to look at our decision again, or if you want to appeal, you must write and tell us why you think our decision is wrong within one calendar month of the date of the letter notifying you of the decision.

    We will check your claim thoroughly and take account of any more information you have provided with your written request. It may also mean that we have to contact you for further information.
    We could then:

    • Change our decision and pay you more benefit;
    • Change our decision and pay you less benefit; or
    • Decide the decision is already correct and therefore make no changes.

    In any of the above cases we will write to you to let you know what we have decided and the reasons for the decision.
    If you have asked us to look at your case again, and you are still not happy with our decision, you can still appeal. Your case will then be referred to the Tribunals Service. You must do this in writing, within one calendar month of the date of our decision letter. If you appealed we will pass your case to the Tribunals Service. We will do this if we have not changed our decision or if we have changed our decision and we are now paying you less benefit.

    If your appeal is late, and we do not accept your reasons for the delay, your case will still be passed to the Tribunals Service for consideration.

    The Tribunals Service
    If we are unable to alter our decision we will prepare your case for an Independent Tribunal and tell you if you need to do anything further.
    These are administered by the HM Courts and Tribunal Service. We will send both you and the HM Courts and Tribunals Service a copy of our response. You can choose an oral or paper based hearing. The tribunal will then make a decision on your appeal.

  • Benefits Calculator Open or Close

    Benefits Calculator

  • Billing and Benefits NETime Open or Close

    Welcome to our interactive service for Council Tax, Business Rates and Benefits - Billing and Benefits NETime.

    Sign into Billing and Benefits NETime - if you've already registered for the service, you can also register if not. 

    Through this service you can:

    Sign up for electronic billing

    Set up a direct debit

    Request or activate a PIN

    View your Council Tax account and bills

    Check your Benefit claim


  • Change of circumstances Open or Close

    If you move house or any details change which may affect your Council Tax liability, you are required by law to notify us.

    You must notify us of any of the following changes:

    • Have you moved house?
    • Do you qualify for a discount disregard?
    • Has someone passed away?
    • Do you live alone?
    • Has someone moved in with you?
    • Any other changes? e.g. Change of Name, Change in method of payment.

    Please fill in the Change of Circumstances (92KB) form if any of the changes affect you

  • Council Tax Support Open or Close

    From April 2013 every local council had to devise its own local scheme to replace the former national Council Tax Benefit scheme. The government also reduced the amount of money it gave to local councils for this by 10%. Pensioners continue to receive the same level of help under the local schemes as they did under the former national scheme, under the new rules.

    The changes meant that anyone in North East Derbyshire who is of working age and who was in receipt of full Council Tax benefit now has to pay at least 8.5% of their Council Tax.
    Regulations set by Central Government state that the above changes cannot be applied to claimants of a pensionable age. A person is a pensioner if they have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit and they are not, or, if they have a partner, their partner is not in receipt of income support, income-based jobseekers allowance, income-related employment and support allowance or universal credit.

  • Discretionary Housing Payments Open or Close

    You can now apply for discretionary housing payment online using our self-service.

    If you are entitled to some help towards your rent , you may be able to apply for an additional award known as a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). DHPs are paid on top of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to people who find that the shortfall between their Housing Benefit / Universal Credit award and their housing costs causes them exceptional hardship.

    DHPs can only be paid up to the maximum amount of eligible rent that is due, and cannot be paid for some service charges included in the rent, for example water charges. They are also only intended to be a temporary top up, so will not be paid indefinitely. You may be able to negotiate a lower rent with your landlord, or may have to consider finding alternative accommodation that you can afford.

    The amount of money the Council is allowed for DHPs is limited, awards are made at the Council's discretion, and each application will be considered on it's own merits. 

    You must make any application for a Discretionary Housing Payment using the application form on our website. We will notify you of our decision in writing. If we turn you down you can ask us to consider your application again, but there is no formal right of appeal.

    Please use the contacts box on this page to download an application form.

  • Fraud Open or Close

    We have a duty under benefit regulations to ensure that benefit is only paid to bona fide persons.
    We carry out investigations where it is felt that claimants are receiving benefit to which they are not entitled. Benefit fraud is a crime and is dealt with in the appropriate way. This action could be prosecution in Court, possibly leading to a criminal record or imprisonment. Anyone found committing benefit fraud will have to pay back any money to which they had no entitlement and some may have additional action taken against them.

    If you know, or suspect, that a person is claiming Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support that they are not entitled to please contact us immediately. For example someone could:

    • Claim benefit for a property and live somewhere else;
    • Have other people living in the property but they have not told us about them;
    • Are working and claiming Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance;
    • Have failed to declare to us ALL of their income; or Have failed to inform us about their savings or investments (including property that they own).

    If you believe someone to be claiming benefits fraudulently, you can call us or contact the Department for Work and Pensions.

  • Local Housing Allowance Open or Close

    If you are a private tenant, renting property or a room from a private landlord and you are on a low income, you may be able to claim and receive Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

    How do I claim?
    The benefit application form is now online. You can visit us in person or telephone us for advice. You can complete and submit your application form online and download any requested evidence. The claim form tells you exactly what you need to provide.You may also claim as part of another claim for a separate government benefit, allowance or Pension Credit.

    LHA is a way of calculating Housing Benefit. The calculation is based on the area in which you live and the number of bedrooms your personal circumstances require. It ensures that tenants in similar circumstances, residing in the same area and receiving the same amount of financial support and receive a consistent amount towards their housing costs.

    As the LHA is based on your housing needs (rather than your actual housing costs), you can decide if you want to rent a property where the rent is above or below your LHA rate (128kb). Where the rent is more than your LHA rate you would be required to pay the difference between your assessed LHA rate and your actual rental liability.

    LHA applies to:

    • Claimants who claimed for the first time after the 7th April 2008;
    • Claimants who have changed address after the 7th April 2008; (Please note that this also includes people who have changed rooms within the same property) Claimants who are reclaiming after a gap in their claim of at least one week;
    • LHA does not apply to:
    • Existing Housing Benefit claimants (who do not fall under any of the above);
    • Tenants of Housing Associations or other Social/Charitable Landlords;
    • Council Tenants;
    • Tenants who live in Hostels (NACRO)/Houseboats/Mobile Homes or Caravans;
    • Tenants whose tenancy began before 1989;
    • Tenants whose rent includes a substantial element of Board/Lodging;
    • Tenants in shared ownerships;
    • Any letting that is 'exempt' accommodation; (where the care, support or supervision provided by the Landlord and is on a more than 'minimal' basis)
    • All 'non-LHA' tenants will continue to be assessed under the 'pre LHA' Housing Benefit scheme.

    The LHA rates are decided by the Rent Officer. This was also the case with the 'pre April 2008' Rent Officer Decisions. The Rent Officer will set the rates annually each April, taking into account the Consumer Price Index (CPI) when determining the forthcoming years rates. The figures are then passed through to us to advertise to our customers and to use in the assessment of claims.
    The amount of LHA you receive is determined by: The area you live in, this is known as the Broad Marker Rental Area (BRMA); and Who lives in your House with you, known as the size criteria.
    You can find out which BRMA you property is located in by clicking here. You can also calculate your 'size criteria'.

    Central Government have introduced 'caps' to the amount of LHA from the 1st April 2011 and the government website Gov.uk will provide you more information on this. This means that no area in the UK will receive LHA rates above the following:

    • £250.00 per week for a one bedroom property
    • £290.00 per week for a two bedroom property
    • £340.00 per week for a three bedroom property
    • £400.00 per week for a four bedroom property

    Current LHA Rates
    LHA rates are frozen for a period of one year and reviewed annually in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI). This will replace the previous requirement to review the LHA amount used for each individual based on their unique annual anniversary date. This date was previously determined based on their date of claim, date they changed address or the date there was a significant change in their household circumstances. The current LHA rates for 2019/20 are available to download.

  • Non-Dependants Open or Close

    A non-dependant generally is a grown up Son or Daughter, Friend or Relative that lives within your household.

    If you have a non-dependant adult, living in your household, your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support could be subject to a non-dependant deduction, dependent upon their income, age, and your disability status. This is because it is assumed that the non-dependant will contribute towards your rent, rates and/or Council Tax.

    There will be no non-dependant deduction where the claimant is:

    • registered blind or has recently regained their sight
    • receiving the care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) - at any rate
    • receives Attendance Allowance - at any rate

    When a deduction is made:
    One non-dependant deduction will be applied per non-dependant (or non-dependant couple) in your household. For non-dependants in renumerative work the level of deduction is based on their Gross earnings rather than their NET earnings. The lowest deduction will be applied for any non-dependant NOT in work, regardless of their income from state benefits or private pensions.

    Non-dependants with no deduction:

    • A non-dependant aged under 18
    • A non-dependant in receipt of Pension Credits (either kind)
    • A non-dependant aged under 25 receiving a passported benefit (excluding 'main phase' ESA)
    • A Youth Trainee
    • A non-dependant in prison or similar detention
    • A non-dependant who has been in hospital for 52 weeks or more
    • A temporary resident or visitor
    • A full time student (during a period of study)
    • A full time student (during a vacation period providing they are not in remunerative work during this period of time)

    For any non-dependant in work a deduction will be applied to your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support dependent upon the level of their Gross income.

  • Over Payments Open or Close

    An overpayment is when benefit has been paid to someone but they are not entitled to receive it. It is therefore important that you notify us of any change in circumstance as soon as possible in order to avoid being overpaid Housing Benefit. We have the discretion to recover all overpayments, except in some cases when the overpayment has come about as a result of 'official error'. Overpayments that are caused by 'official error' cannot be recovered, unless it was reasonable for the tenant or landlord to have known that they were being overpaid. Overpayments can be recovered from either the person who caused the overpayment, or the person who received the overpayment.

    How are overpayments recovered?

    If Housing Benefit is still in payment; it is likely that we will recover any overpayment by reducing the amount of benefit you receive each week. Using the amount reduced from your benefit to reduce the outstanding overpayment. You must then make up the difference to your Landlord to avoid accumulating rent arrears. 
    If Housing Benefit is no longer in payment; it is likely that we will issue the person from whom we are seeking recovery with an invoice for the overpaid amount. An arrangement should then be made with our recovery department to pay back the overpaid amount. 
    If Housing Benefit payments have been made to the Landlord; we may ask the Landlord to repay the amount in certain circumstances. 
    If you are on Social Security benefits; we can ask the Department for Work and Pensions to make deductions from your benefit to recover the overpayment. 
    If you have vacated our area; we can ask your new Local Authority to recover the overpayment from your Housing Benefit that is paid by them. 

    The decision on how we choose to recover the overpayment is at our discretion and can not be appealed. If an invoice remains unpaid, or someone does not keep to an arrangement to repay the debt, over time this will lead to further action being taken. This may include pursuing the debt in the County Court.

    What if I cannot afford the recovery rate being taken?

    If you want us to look again at the amount we take from your Housing Benefit please contact us. In order to reach a decision, to reduce the amount we take, we may ask for more information.
  • Self Employed Open or Close

    If you are self employed and on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. In order for us to determine if you are eligible we will need to look at your net weekly income from your self employed earnings and any other income and capital that you may have.

    In order to support your application for Housing Benefit we request that you provide your last six months income and expenditure accounts for your business. These do not have to be audited by a professional accountant but should show all of your weekly/monthly income and expenses. If you have only just become self employed we will require a 13-week forecast of your projected earnings and expenditure. We will then review your claim after this period to ensure that the income we are using for you is correct and that you are receiving the right amount of benefit.

    If you have not kept records of your self employed accounts you should complete a 'Self Employed' proforma and provide this in support of your application for benefit. However, it is advised that for future purposes that you keep weekly/monthly records of your income and expenditure as this will be required to assess any future benefit entitlement. You may also be required to provide these in support of your Income Tax returns.

  • Students Open or Close

    Most students in full-time higher education cannot claim Housing Benefit. If you are a student you can only claim if you are:

    • studying part-time; or  

    • under 19 and on a course which is NOT a higher education course; or  

    • a single parent; or  

    • a student with a disability; or  

    • 60 or over; or  

    • one of a couple, both of you are students and you have dependant children.

  • Universal Credit Open or Close

    Universal Credit is a new benefit being introduced by the government and is currently being rolled out across the country. It replaces six means tested benefits and is designed to help people who are unemployed or on a low income. It affects people of working age.

    We are currently in the live/gateway service for Universal Credit which means that there are a limited number of people who are currently eligible to claim Universal Credit in our area. From November 2017 some postcode areas of North East Derbyshire will move onto the full service for Universal Credit. From 2018 all the North East Derbyshire area will move onto the full service.

    If you are currently claiming universal credit or think this may affect you in the future then you need to start preparing for the full service rollout. Universal Credit is a fully digital service - this means that you have to claim online and your claim thereafter is managed online. As a part of your Universal Credit claim you must have access to an email account as you will receive all of your claim correspondence through email.

    You will need to have a transactional bank account / Building Society account / Credit Union account to receive your Universal Credit payments. Your Universal Credit will be paid monthly in arrears; this means you will need to start to plan to budget monthly.

    Find out what Universal Credit Service is Available in Your Postcode Area by clicking on the following link https://universalcreditinfo.net/.

    Further information is available on the Governments website.

Council Tax

  • Appeals Open or Close
    There are many circumstances in which you may make an appeal against your property's banding. For example there may have been a structural change, part or all of the property may have been demolished or there may have been changes in the area that might affect the value.

    You may also appeal against the banding of a new property or against an alteration in your banding made by the Valuation Office.
    If you have recently moved house, you have six months from the date you moved in to make an appeal.

    Appeals should be made to the Valuation Office at the following address:

    The Valuation Office Agency
    Listing Officer
    Council Tax East
    Ground Floor
    Ferrers House
    Castle Meadow Road
    NG2 1AB

    Main Switchboard Tel: 03000 501 501

    For full details of the grounds for appealing against your banding visit the Valuation Office web site at www.voa.gov.uk
    If you do make an appeal against your banding you must still pay your council tax bill. If your appeal is successful, your bill will be adjusted and any overpayments will be refunded to you.
  • Band Charges Open or Close
    The amount payable depends on the value of the property and, whilst Council Tax was introduced on 1st April 1993, the valuations are based on the open market values as at 1st April 1991. All domestic properties are valued and placed in one of eight valuation bands by the Independent Valuation Agency.  A Listing Officer at the Valuation Office is responsible for compiling, maintaining and notifying the Council of the banding of a property.
    Please use the what's my council tax calculator on this page for your area's tax band.

    The eight valuation bands are:

    Band A - Values not exceeding £40,000  
    Band B - Over £40,000 but not over £52,000 
    Band C - Over £52,000 but not over £68,000
    Band D - Over £68,000 but not over £88,000 
    Band E - Over £88,000 but not over £120,000
    Band F - Over £120,000 but not over £160,000
    Band G - Over £160,000 but not over £320,000
    Band H - Values exceeding £320,000 

    Each band is subject to a different level of tax; Band A will have the lowest tax and Band H the highest.  The relevant band for your dwelling will be shown on your Council Tax bill
  • Billing and Benefits NETime Open or Close
  • Change of Circumstances Open or Close
    If you move house or any details change which may affect your Council Tax liability, you are required by law to notify us.

    You must notify us of any of the following changes:

    Moving House
    If you qualify for a discount disregard  
    Someone has passed away  
    If you live alone  
    If someone has moved in with you  
    Any other changes?  e.g.  Change of Name, Change in method of payment.  

    Please telephone us using the contact details on this page.
  • Council Tax Support Open or Close

    What Happens If I Don't Pay On Time?

    Council Tax is usually paid in 10 monthly instalments, from April to January. This number will be reduced where bills are produced later in the year.
    You should make your payments by the due dates shown on your bill and it is important that payments are actually received by the Council by that date.

    If you miss an instalment, or pay less than the amount due you can expect the following action:

    The first time that you fail to pay a Council Tax instalment, we will send you a reminder asking you to bring your account up to date within a set time. If you do this you can carry on paying by instalments. If you fall behind on your payments again, a second and last reminder will be issued requesting payment of outstanding instalments within a set time. If you do this, as in the case of a first reminder, you can still continue to pay by monthly instalments.

    Further non-payment will result in a final reminder notice being issued. Your right to pay by instalments is withdrawn and the full amount outstanding on the notice must be paid within 7 days.

    If you receive a reminder or final reminder and you do not pay the amount shown within the time allowed, or you have not contacted the Revenues Section to discuss it, your account will be passed to the Recovery Section for further action. This means you will incur additional costs and legal proceedings will be taken.

    Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2019/20

    You can visit us at our Wingerworth office from 9:000am to 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, and 9:000am to 4.30pm on Fridays. You do not need to make an appointment as we operate a 'drop-in' system. However, if you prefer to make an appointment just give us a ring.

  • Discounts Open or Close
    Discounts reduce the amount of your Council Tax bill. The basic Council Tax bill is based on the assumption that there are at least two adults living in a property. A discount is given if there are fewer than two residents. If you are the sole adult living in the property you will be entitled to a 25% reduction in your Council Tax.
    If a property is left empty, unoccupied and unfurnished, it will receive a 3 month 100% discount. If a property is deemed uninhabitable, requiring/undergoing major repairs or structural alteration it will receive a 100% discount for six months from the day work is completed or for a maximum period of 12 months, whichever is shorter, as long as it remains unoccupied and unfurnished.
    If you consider that a property you own is uninhabitable you should provide us with full details. The Council Tax visiting officer will have to carry out an internal inspection. As a guide, a damp proof course, new windows, new kitchen/bathroom do not make a property uninhabitable for Council Tax purposes. If ownership of a property changes it will not renew entitlement to this discount.
    In addition, certain people are not counted when calculating the number of residents in a dwelling, These are called 'disregarded persons'. If someone in your household falls into one of the specified classed listed you may be entitled to a discount.
    The main categories are:
    • people in detention
    • people who are severely mentally impaired
    • 18 and 19 year olds in further education or whom child benefit is payable
    • students or student nurses
    • apprentices and Youth Training trainees
    • patients who live in a hospital or nursing home
    • some carers or care workers
    • disabled relief
    Other areas for discount include residents of hostels, night shelters; members of religious communities whose main work is prayer, contemplation, education or relief of suffering.

    Further details regarding Council Tax discounts can be found at  https://www.gov.uk/council-tax

    With any discount we will seek confirmation of your status and eligibility. If you believe you are entitled to a discount please contact us immediately. Following the award of any discount you must notify us immediately if your situation alters and the circumstances giving rise to a discount change.
  • Exemptions Open or Close

    There are circumstances when no Council Tax is payable. However, this depends on individual circumstances and these are highlighted in our Exemption Classes document.

    You should pay full Council Tax at your main residence and you can claim a discount on an empty property or a second home. Some empty properties may be exempt from charge for up to a year.

    Exempt Property Classes

    Further details regarding Council Tax discounts can be found at  https://www.gov.uk/council-tax

  • How To Pay Open or Close

    Council Tax and Business Rates are payable in monthly instalments which are shown on your bill. There are a variety of ways to pay your bill, the simplest is to use our online method, found in the 'Pay it' button above. You can also pay via the below methods, and all the relevent contact details are on the contacts box on this page:

    • Direct Debit payments
    • Telephone - Using your debit or credit card you can make a payment by telephoning us 24 hours per day, 7 days per week on 01246 217710.
    • Pay online
    • Area Cash Office - You can make your payment in person at our District Council Offices in Wingerworth or one of the area cash offices.
    • PayPoint
    • Post - If sending your payment by post please do not send cash – send a cheque or postal order. If you cannot avoid sending cash, please use Recorded or Special Delivery. Please make cheques payable to NEDDC and send to District Council Offices, 2013 Mill lane, Wingerworth, S42 6NG. Remember to write your account reference number on the back of your cheque.
    • Bank - You can pay over the counter at any bank, but the bank may charge you a fee for this service. Please include the Council Tax account reference number and ensure that the payment is credited to our Bank:
      • Bank - Lloyds Bank
      • Branch - City Office Gillingham 
      • Sort Code - 30 80 12 
      • Account Number - 10736668 
      • Account Name - NEDDC General Account

    If you have any query about paying your bill, please contact the Revenues Team using the contact details opposite..

  • Recovery Open or Close
    • The Recovery Section deals with outstanding balances on Council Tax, Business Rates and Housing Benefit accounts.
      The process of recovering unpaid money is outlined below;

      The Summons

      If you have failed to pay money owed on your account after a payment reminder has been sent to you details of your account will be passed to the Recovery Section. At this stage the Recovery Section will issue a summons to appear at North East Derbyshire and Dales Magistrates Court.
      As a result, you will lose the right to pay by instalments and the summons will request that you pay the full outstanding balance, including an additional amount for court costs.
      If two or more names appear on the Council Tax bill, you will all receive a copy of the summons, but only one amount of costs will be charged.

      What Happens Next?

      If you pay the full outstanding amount shown on the summons, including the costs, before the hearing date no further action will be taken and your name will not appear on the list presented at the Court. The fact that you had been issued with a summons would not be held against you for future years.
      You do not have to attend the magistrate’s court if you agree that you owe the outstanding amount. If you decide to attend court, we will not pay for your expenses.
      If you can’t afford to pay the full amount you should contact the Recovery Section to make an arrangement to pay off the debt. See our information on Arrangements.

      The Court Hearing

      The court hearing is held to check that the proper steps have been taken to recover your Council Tax and that the balance is still owing. The magistrates cannot decide how much you should pay or agree payment arrangements, and cannot consider any Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit related matters
      At the hearing if the Magistrates are satisfied that the correct procedures have been followed they will grant a Liability Order in respect of your outstanding account. The Liability Order allows us to take further recovery action without prior notice. See our information on Further Action.
      If you think you are not liable to pay the charge, please contact the Revenues Section straight away so that we can investigate the matter.
      You will be sent a copy of the Liability Order, which also includes a request for details of your income and expenditure. You must complete and return this request to avoid your account being passed to a bailiff company for collection.

      Special Arrangements

      Once a summons has been issued, the Recovery Section will be happy to discuss making an arrangement for you to pay off your outstanding balance.
      There are three ways in which an arrangement can be made:
      Direct debit – we will consider putting your account onto a monthly direct debit arrangement; the direct debit will continue on your account for future years so you will avoid you falling into arrears again.
      An arrangement based on income & expenditure – if you are unable to pay by direct debit, we may consider an arrangement based on details of your income & expenditure; this way we can see how much you can reasonably be expected to afford per month to clear your account. We will still apply for a Liability Order with costs at the court hearing, but we will not take any further recovery action, as long as you keep to your arrangement.

      Further Action

      If you do not make an arrangement to pay, or fail to keep to the arrangement you have made, then the Recovery Section can take the following action:
    • make automatic deductions from your wages or benefits; your employer can charge you up to £1 for each deduction
    • pass your account to an enforcement agency to recover; you may be charged additional costs for this by the company
    • we may start bankruptcy proceedings.
    • we can apply for your committal to prison.

    We would like to avoid all of these options, if at all possible, by making an acceptable arrangement with you.

    For independent advice and information you can contact your local:

    Citizens Advice Bureau - Telephone: 0300 456 8437. The NEDCAB have also produced a Debt and Budgeting Calculator which can be used to produce a draft financial statement or act as a basic income and expenditure budgeting guide/tool.
    National Debtline - Telephone 0808 808 4000.

Births, Deaths, Marriages

  • Assisted Funerals Open or Close

    The council is responsible for arranging the funeral of a person who has died within the borders of North East Derbyshire if no suitable arrangements have been or are being made for the funeral.

    Before we can arrange for the burial or cremation, the death must be registered.

    Unfortunately, we do not have any grants available to assist with funeral costs, nor can we help with a funeral that has already taken place.

    If you are on a low income and claim certain benefits then you may be entitled to financial help with the costs associated with the funeral. Gov.uk may be able to offer financial help towards the cost of the funeral.

    Please see the Public Health Funerals here.

  • Register Births Open or Close

    A birth must be registered in the district in which the birth occurs. If a birth occurred in another district, a declaration can be at any register office and forwarded on.

    The registration must be completed within 42 days of the birth date. To make an appointment to register a birth please contact the relevant register office.

    Derbyshire County Council’s Registration Pages contain information about how to register a birth.

    Find your Local Register Office.

  • Register Deaths Open or Close

    For more information on registering a death please see Derbyshire County Councils pages.
    A death must be registered with the relevant register office.

    We manage the cemeteries in the district, for more information see our Cemeteries information.

    The 'Tell Us Once' service should let us know about changes to your council tax, benefits and the electoral register.
    The Gov.uk website has a useful checklist of things you may need to do - What to do after someone dies.

  • Register Marriages Open or Close

    If you are looking for a wedding venue or registry office see Derbyshire County Council’s marriage webpages here.

    If you're planning on getting married you will need to:

    • Complete a change in circumstances / name change form here.
    • Let HM Revenues & Customs know if you receive child benefit.
    • Electoral Register - name change on the register
    • Change of Address - if you're moving home, you need to let us know, and tell DVLA to upodate your licence.
    • You will also need to update your passport.

Go to top