Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor



Do it Online

Report a problem below or register for a secure account to save yourself time and help keep a track of your requests.

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

Council Tax

  • Appeals Open or Close
    There are many circumstances in which you may make an appeal against your property's banding. For example there may have been a structural change, part or all of the property may have been demolished or there may have been changes in the area that might affect the value.

    You may also appeal against the banding of a new property or against an alteration in your banding made by the Valuation Office.
    If you have recently moved house, you have six months from the date you moved in to make an appeal.

    Appeals should be made to the Valuation Office at the following address:

    The Valuation Office Agency
    Listing Officer
    Council Tax East
    Ground Floor
    Ferrers House
    Castle Meadow Road
    NG2 1AB

    Main Switchboard Tel: 03000 501 501

    For full details of the grounds for appealing against your banding visit the Valuation Office web site at www.voa.gov.uk
    If you do make an appeal against your banding you must still pay your council tax bill. If your appeal is successful, your bill will be adjusted and any overpayments will be refunded to you.
  • Band Charges Open or Close
    The amount payable depends on the value of the property and, whilst Council Tax was introduced on 1st April 1993, the valuations are based on the open market values as at 1st April 1991. All domestic properties are valued and placed in one of eight valuation bands by the Independent Valuation Agency.  A Listing Officer at the Valuation Office is responsible for compiling, maintaining and notifying the Council of the banding of a property.
    Please use the what's my council tax calculator on this page for your area's tax band.

    The eight valuation bands are:

    Band A - Values not exceeding £40,000  
    Band B - Over £40,000 but not over £52,000 
    Band C - Over £52,000 but not over £68,000
    Band D - Over £68,000 but not over £88,000 
    Band E - Over £88,000 but not over £120,000
    Band F - Over £120,000 but not over £160,000
    Band G - Over £160,000 but not over £320,000
    Band H - Values exceeding £320,000 

    Each band is subject to a different level of tax; Band A will have the lowest tax and Band H the highest.  The relevant band for your dwelling will be shown on your Council Tax bill
  • Billing and Benefits NETime Open or Close
  • Change of Circumstances Open or Close
    If you move house or any details change which may affect your Council Tax liability, you are required by law to notify us.

    You must notify us of any of the following changes:

    Moving House
    If you qualify for a discount disregard  
    Someone has passed away  
    If you live alone  
    If someone has moved in with you  
    Any other changes?  e.g.  Change of Name, Change in method of payment.  

    Please telephone us using the contact details on this page.
  • Council Tax Support Open or Close

    What Happens If I Don't Pay On Time?

    Council Tax is usually paid in 10 monthly instalments, from April to January. This number will be reduced where bills are produced later in the year.
    You should make your payments by the due dates shown on your bill and it is important that payments are actually received by the Council by that date.

    If you miss an instalment, or pay less than the amount due you can expect the following action:

    The first time that you fail to pay a Council Tax instalment, we will send you a reminder asking you to bring your account up to date within a set time. If you do this you can carry on paying by instalments. If you fall behind on your payments again, a second and last reminder will be issued requesting payment of outstanding instalments within a set time. If you do this, as in the case of a first reminder, you can still continue to pay by monthly instalments.

    Further non-payment will result in a final reminder notice being issued. Your right to pay by instalments is withdrawn and the full amount outstanding on the notice must be paid within 7 days.

    If you receive a reminder or final reminder and you do not pay the amount shown within the time allowed, or you have not contacted the Revenues Section to discuss it, your account will be passed to the Recovery Section for further action. This means you will incur additional costs and legal proceedings will be taken.

    Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2019/20

    You can visit us at our Wingerworth office from 9:000am to 5.00pm Monday to Thursday, and 9:000am to 4.30pm on Fridays. You do not need to make an appointment as we operate a 'drop-in' system. However, if you prefer to make an appointment just give us a ring.

  • Discounts Open or Close
    Discounts reduce the amount of your Council Tax bill. The basic Council Tax bill is based on the assumption that there are at least two adults living in a property. A discount is given if there are fewer than two residents. If you are the sole adult living in the property you will be entitled to a 25% reduction in your Council Tax.
    If a property is left empty, unoccupied and unfurnished, it will receive a 3 month 100% discount. If a property is deemed uninhabitable, requiring/undergoing major repairs or structural alteration it will receive a 100% discount for six months from the day work is completed or for a maximum period of 12 months, whichever is shorter, as long as it remains unoccupied and unfurnished.
    If you consider that a property you own is uninhabitable you should provide us with full details. The Council Tax visiting officer will have to carry out an internal inspection. As a guide, a damp proof course, new windows, new kitchen/bathroom do not make a property uninhabitable for Council Tax purposes. If ownership of a property changes it will not renew entitlement to this discount.
    In addition, certain people are not counted when calculating the number of residents in a dwelling, These are called 'disregarded persons'. If someone in your household falls into one of the specified classed listed you may be entitled to a discount.
    The main categories are:
    • people in detention
    • people who are severely mentally impaired
    • 18 and 19 year olds in further education or whom child benefit is payable
    • students or student nurses
    • apprentices and Youth Training trainees
    • patients who live in a hospital or nursing home
    • some carers or care workers
    • disabled relief
    Other areas for discount include residents of hostels, night shelters; members of religious communities whose main work is prayer, contemplation, education or relief of suffering.

    Further details regarding Council Tax discounts can be found at  https://www.gov.uk/council-tax

    With any discount we will seek confirmation of your status and eligibility. If you believe you are entitled to a discount please contact us immediately. Following the award of any discount you must notify us immediately if your situation alters and the circumstances giving rise to a discount change.
  • Exemptions Open or Close

    There are circumstances when no Council Tax is payable. However, this depends on individual circumstances and these are highlighted in our Exemption Classes document.

    You should pay full Council Tax at your main residence and you can claim a discount on an empty property or a second home. Some empty properties may be exempt from charge for up to a year.

    Exempt Property Classes

    Further details regarding Council Tax discounts can be found at  https://www.gov.uk/council-tax

  • How To Pay Open or Close

    Council Tax and Business Rates are payable in monthly instalments which are shown on your bill. There are a variety of ways to pay your bill, the simplest is to use our online method, found in the 'Pay it' button above. You can also pay via the below methods, and all the relevent contact details are on the contacts box on this page:

    • Direct Debit payments
    • Telephone - Using your debit or credit card you can make a payment by telephoning us 24 hours per day, 7 days per week on 01246 217710.
    • Pay online
    • Area Cash Office - You can make your payment in person at our District Council Offices in Wingerworth or one of the area cash offices.
    • PayPoint
    • Post - If sending your payment by post please do not send cash – send a cheque or postal order. If you cannot avoid sending cash, please use Recorded or Special Delivery. Please make cheques payable to NEDDC and send to District Council Offices, 2013 Mill lane, Wingerworth, S42 6NG. Remember to write your account reference number on the back of your cheque.
    • Bank - You can pay over the counter at any bank, but the bank may charge you a fee for this service. Please include the Council Tax account reference number and ensure that the payment is credited to our Bank:
      • Bank - Lloyds Bank
      • Branch - City Office Gillingham 
      • Sort Code - 30 80 12 
      • Account Number - 10736668 
      • Account Name - NEDDC General Account

    If you have any query about paying your bill, please contact the Revenues Team using the contact details opposite..

  • Recovery Open or Close
    • The Recovery Section deals with outstanding balances on Council Tax, Business Rates and Housing Benefit accounts.
      The process of recovering unpaid money is outlined below;

      The Summons

      If you have failed to pay money owed on your account after a payment reminder has been sent to you details of your account will be passed to the Recovery Section. At this stage the Recovery Section will issue a summons to appear at North East Derbyshire and Dales Magistrates Court.
      As a result, you will lose the right to pay by instalments and the summons will request that you pay the full outstanding balance, including an additional amount for court costs.
      If two or more names appear on the Council Tax bill, you will all receive a copy of the summons, but only one amount of costs will be charged.

      What Happens Next?

      If you pay the full outstanding amount shown on the summons, including the costs, before the hearing date no further action will be taken and your name will not appear on the list presented at the Court. The fact that you had been issued with a summons would not be held against you for future years.
      You do not have to attend the magistrate’s court if you agree that you owe the outstanding amount. If you decide to attend court, we will not pay for your expenses.
      If you can’t afford to pay the full amount you should contact the Recovery Section to make an arrangement to pay off the debt. See our information on Arrangements.

      The Court Hearing

      The court hearing is held to check that the proper steps have been taken to recover your Council Tax and that the balance is still owing. The magistrates cannot decide how much you should pay or agree payment arrangements, and cannot consider any Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit related matters
      At the hearing if the Magistrates are satisfied that the correct procedures have been followed they will grant a Liability Order in respect of your outstanding account. The Liability Order allows us to take further recovery action without prior notice. See our information on Further Action.
      If you think you are not liable to pay the charge, please contact the Revenues Section straight away so that we can investigate the matter.
      You will be sent a copy of the Liability Order, which also includes a request for details of your income and expenditure. You must complete and return this request to avoid your account being passed to a bailiff company for collection.

      Special Arrangements

      Once a summons has been issued, the Recovery Section will be happy to discuss making an arrangement for you to pay off your outstanding balance.
      There are three ways in which an arrangement can be made:
      Direct debit – we will consider putting your account onto a monthly direct debit arrangement; the direct debit will continue on your account for future years so you will avoid you falling into arrears again.
      An arrangement based on income & expenditure – if you are unable to pay by direct debit, we may consider an arrangement based on details of your income & expenditure; this way we can see how much you can reasonably be expected to afford per month to clear your account. We will still apply for a Liability Order with costs at the court hearing, but we will not take any further recovery action, as long as you keep to your arrangement.

      Further Action

      If you do not make an arrangement to pay, or fail to keep to the arrangement you have made, then the Recovery Section can take the following action:
    • make automatic deductions from your wages or benefits; your employer can charge you up to £1 for each deduction
    • pass your account to an enforcement agency to recover; you may be charged additional costs for this by the company
    • we may start bankruptcy proceedings.
    • we can apply for your committal to prison.

    We would like to avoid all of these options, if at all possible, by making an acceptable arrangement with you.

    For independent advice and information you can contact your local:

    Citizens Advice Bureau - Telephone: 0300 456 8437. The NEDCAB have also produced a Debt and Budgeting Calculator which can be used to produce a draft financial statement or act as a basic income and expenditure budgeting guide/tool.
    National Debtline - Telephone 0808 808 4000.

Council Tax contacts

  • Tel: 01246 217600
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

What is my Council Tax in 2019/20

Go to top