Save Time and Do it Online - Click to Open
Bin Collections

Bin Collections

My Councillor

My Councillor



Do it Online

Report a problem below or register for a secure account to save yourself time and help keep a track of your requests.

When is my bin collection?

Find my Councillor

My Area

See what services are available in your area

For planning applications click here

For Local Plan information, including the Local Plan Examination click here.

Waste and Recycling

Refuse Calendar for the North 2019 - 2020

Refuse Calendar for the South 2019-2020

The calendars for 2018-19 can be found here - Calendar A North 2018-19 and Calendar B South 2018-19

Christmas recycling information on what can and can't be recycled can be found here.

  • A-Z Recycling Open or Close

    For a full list of materials please download our A-Z of recycling.


  • Assisted Bin Collections Open or Close

    We know that some people can't move their wheeled bin, perhaps due to illness or incapacity. If you can show that infirmity or disability stops you being able to move your bin to the collection point, we can provide a collection/return service for you.

    You can download the Assisted Collection Application Form, please complete it and return it to address on page three of the form.

    To help speed up your application, please supply supporting information such as proof of Disability Living Allowance, confirmation of infirmity/frailty by visiting care personnel or letter from your GP, Derbyshire County Council Social Care Department Registration of Disability.  An officer will contact you to arrange a home visit to discuss your application.

    The Assisted Collection Service applies to your black and green bins and the burgundy recycling bin.


  • Bin Collection Dates Open or Close

    Refuse Calendar for the North 2019 - 2020

    Refuse Calendar for the South 2019-2020

    Calendar A The North:

    Arkwright, Barlow, Brampton, Calow, Coal Aston, Cutthorpe, Dronfield, Dronfield Woodhouse, Duckmanton, Eckington, Holmesfield, Killamarsh, Marsh Lane, Renishaw, Ridgeway, Unstone, Wadshelf areas.  Also, residents collected using our smaller 'rural' route vehicle in the northern area, plus Grassmoor, Sutton and Temple Normanton.

    Calendar B The South:

    Ashover, Brackenfield, Clay Cross, Grassmoor, Hasland, Heath, Higham, Holmewood, Holymoorside, Morton, North Wingfield, Pilsley, Shirland, Stretton, Sutton, Temple Normanton, Tupton, Walton, Wessington, Wingerworth and Winsick areas.  (This does not include residents in collected using the smaller 'rural' route vehicle in the Grassmoor, Sutton and Temple Normanton areas.)

    For further details and and questions you may have about the changes please view our FAQ document here.



  • Bulky Collections Open or Close

    The Council offers a service for the removal of bulky items from outside your home. To request a bulky collection please call Connect North East on the number provided on this page.

    For pricing and details on what items we can and cannot collect please download our Bulky Guidance Form  and fill in our Bulky Request Form.

    Concessions are available to households on low income and householders who due to reasons of disability do not have the capability and mobility to remove their own bulk waste. These households will receive a 50% reduced rate.

  • Clinical Waste Open or Close

    For the collection of clinical waste please contact your GP or Nurse who will tell you how to dispose of your waste. If a special collection is required they will fill in a Waste Assessment Form found in the document links section of this page. This will be sent to us and we, the council will contact you, the resident to discuss how your waste will be disposed. 

    Clinical waste is categorised as follows:

    Soft Infectious Waste; Yellow bag (incineration only) A special collection is required to dispose of this waste and must not be placed in the black bin.

    Infectious waste should not be disposed of in the black residual waste wheelie bin.

    Infectious Sharps Waste: Yellow Sharps Container

    This waste should be placed in the yellow 'Sharpsguard' sharps container. If you able to able to visit your surgery, or have relatives or representatives who can visit the surgery for you, the full sharps box should be taken to your surgery for disposal. When no other disposal route is available the council will make a collection of your 1 litre box when the patient has five full sharps boxes.

    Offensive/Hygiene Waste

    Non-infectious offensive/hygiene waste, including incontinence waste, empty stoma and catheter bags.  This waste can be disposed of in the black residual waste wheelie bin.

    For any further information or if your clincial waste hasn't been collected please contact us using the Connect North East telephone number.

  • Commercial Waste Open or Close

    The Commercial Refuse Service is available to all companies and businesses (including schools and residential/nursing homes - non-medical) located within North East Derbyshire.

    The cost will be dependent on the volume of waste produced, number of containers, access arrangements and the type of waste generated.

    Please view our Commercial Waste prices for 2019 - 2020.

    A range of containers are available to suit varying waste disposal needs:

    • Totally enclosed

    • Hygienic and easy to clean

    • Highly manoeuvrable with easy loading heights

    • Promoting a clean environment

    • Mostly lockable with foot brakes

    Available container sizes are:





    240 litres




    360 litres




    770 litres




    1100 litres




    Open Skips




    Closed Skips




    Commercial Waste Monthly Schedule:


  • Composting Open or Close

    Home Composting is one of the most cost efficient and friendly methods of waste disposal - and an easy way to cut down on the bulk of your black bin waste. 

    We have teamed up with the Derbyshire County Council to offer discounted compost bins to all its residents or you can find out about special compost bin offers in your area from getcomposting.com.

    For full details of what you should and shouldn't put in your home composter, how to get the best compost and how to use it visit RecycleNow.

    If you would like more information about composting at home contact us.

  • Extra Refuse Capacity Open or Close

    If you think your black residual waste bin is not big enough for your needs and want to apply for a extra capacity (a bigger bin or an extra bin), please read the following information:  

    Households of six or more permanent residents can receive extra refuse (black bin) capacity, as long as they meet all other relevant conditions (see below). We will need to see evidence of the number of residents in your household. 

    You can also apply if there are other exceptional circumstances that lead to you producing a higher level of waste than normal. We will consider each case individually, but would expect that you make every reasonable effort to reduce the amount of waste you produce as much as possible.

    Households who don't recycle will not be issued with extra bin capacity, and we may withdraw the extra bin capacity if you fail to recycle; your black/grey bin is not intended for disposal of items that can be recycled.

    If your household produces a large amount of medical waste (due to disability or other similar causes) this will support your application for extra bin capacity. We will still consider the other factors above when making our decision.

    You can also apply if there are other exceptional circumstances that lead to you producing a higher level of waste than normal. We will consider each case individually, but would expect that you make every reasonable effort to reduce the amount of waste you produce as much as possible.

    There is a one-off charge of £20 (£10 if on qualifying benefits). 

    We will send a review form every 2 years to check that your household still needs the extra capacity.

    Extra Bin Capacity Guidance Notes

    Extra Bin Capacity Application Form

  • Recycling Centres Open or Close

    Stonegravels Household Waste Recycling Centre is provided by Derbyshire County Council. Find out what you can take and what you can't take on Derbyshire County Council's website.

    The Stonegravels site is open daily, including weekends, from 8.30 am to 6.00 pm with the exception of 25th and 26th December and 1st January. 

    Residents in the east of district may find it easier to travel to the Bolsover Household Waste Recycling Centre and residents in the very south of the District may find it easier to travel to the Loscoe Household Waste Recycling Centre.

  • Waste we don't take Open or Close

    Please make sure you don't put the following items either in your bin or alongside it as 'side waste':

    Household waste

    The following items are not acceptable as household waste and will not be collected:

    • Excavated material, including soil and sods, clay, gravel, stone, broken concrete, tarmac, etc

    • Greenhouses, sheds

    • Panes of glass, window-frames

    • Internal or external doors, garage doors

    • Concrete slabs, bricks, blocks, plaster, cement, timber

    • Radiators, fireplaces, gas fires, boilers

    • Bathroom fittings i.e. toilet, bath, shower base, shower-screen, wash-hand basin, bidet

    • Kitchen cupboards or base units and sink units and work tops

    • Water tanks and cylinders

    • Heaps or piles of loose branches

    • Gas cylinders

    • Oil

    • Liquid waste including any flammable liquids and paint

    • Asbestos

    • Motor vehicle or motorcycle parts including wheels and tyres

    Alternatively you could consider hiring a skip for your excess waste. The website here lists some of the skip hire companies available to you in Derbyshire.



    • Hazardous household waste e.g. household chemicals, herbicides, rodenticides, insecticides etc

    Hazardous waste can be disposed of at a Household Recycling Centre


Waste / Recycling contacts

  • Tel: 01246 231111
  • Email: 
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Go to top