Killamarsh Sports Centre progress update 10 August 2021
£1.9m will be invested in Killamarsh Sports Centre, creating even more facilities for residents and visitors to enjoy.
In addition to the large 80 station gym, fitness studios and café, the extra cash will now pay for large scale refurbishment of the whole facility, creation of a large multi-floor soft play and providing a Changing Places toilet, making the Centre accessible for non-sporting customers and a great asset for the local community for everyday general use or to host children’s parties.
The refurbishment programme will include:
- Extensive refurbishment throughout
- New entrance, signage and painting to the outside of the building
- Car park improvements
- New fitness class studio space, including virtual instructor provision.
- Cycle/Spin studio
- Café with a great food and beverage offer
- 80 station fitness suite, over two floors, set out with all the latest fitness equipment
- A community ‘Changing Places’ facility - Changing Places toilets meet the needs of people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, as well as people with other physical disabilities such as spinal injuries, muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis.
- New multi-floor soft play kingdom with ball pits, slides and a safe area for toddlers
- Online membership and booking facilities for activities
- Refurbished 3G football pitch with new fencing, lighting and multi pitch playing areas.
Picture 1: Artists impression of the front entrance
Picture 2: Artists impression of the new gym layout
Picture 3: 80 station gym suite
Picture 4: Cycling studio
Discussions continue with the County Council regarding the inclusion of Killamarsh Library within the centre.
Refurbishment of Killamarsh Sports Centre, on Stanley Street, Killamarsh, is expected to start in September 2021.
The council will shortly be sharing these exciting plans, engaging with the local community and working with residents on providing activities for young people.
During the refurbishment we’d love to welcome you at Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre (or any of our other facilities) where our staff will be happy to meet you and support you on your fitness journey. Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre is only a short drive from Killamarsh and has ample free parking available. The facility offers a modern, 60 station gym, fitness studio with live and Virtual classes, and swimming pool*. Our memberships are available from as little as £23.00/month with no ongoing commitment and allow you to use all of our sports facilities in Killamarsh, Eckington, Dronfield and Clay Cross. You can sign up for a membership online now by visiting: www.ne-derbyshire.gov.uk/leisurehub
*We are improving Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre too and the pool will be closed from Monday 16 August for around 16 weeks.
We ask for your patience and understanding during this period. We can’t wait to share our exciting plans for the centre with you shortly and providing Killamarsh with a great sports centre for the future.
Keep up to date with the latest news over on the Facebook page for the centre.