North East Derbyshire District Council are continuing their #CheckTwice campaign this time to focus on preventing burglaries as opportunist thieves strike when doors are left unlocked and gates left open.
The campaign aims to encourage home owners to #CheckTwice by checking they have locked their doors, not left any valuables or car keys out on show and to use timers for lights when they are away to minimise the risk of an incident.
A reminder to residents;
- Keep doors locked at all times
- If you are going away on holiday or it will be dark when you get back - put lights on a timer. There are many ‘smart plug’ devices available from online retailers which allow you to do this remotely or via your phone.
- Don’t leave your car or door keys on view, put them out of sight downstairs.
- If you are going away, ask a neighbour to leave a car on the driveway and to keep an eye on the property
- Keep garden gates shut or locked – don’t give would be thieves any opportunity
North East Derbyshire District Council will be using the hashtag #CheckTwice across its social media platforms to help raise awareness over the coming weeks so please share the messages on social media with families and friends and keep an eye out on for updates!