Christmas and winter information

Our opening times over the festive break

Main council offices

Our Mill Lane offices at Wingerworth will be closed from 5pm on Monday 23 December, re-opening on Thursday 2 January 2020 at 9am.

  • For help in an emergency, contact 01246 231111 for recorded information.

Leisure centres

Our leisure centres will be closed on Tuesday 24, Wednesday 25 and Thursday 26 December.

They will be open from 9am-4pm on Friday 27, Saturday 28, Sunday 29 and Monday 30 December.

They will be closed on Tuesday 31 December and Wednesday 1 January 2020.

From Thursday 2 January 2020, the centres will be open as normal.

  • Dronfield Sports Centre – 01246 217217.
  • Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre – 01246 217481.
  • Sharley Park Leisure Centre – 01246 217277.

Bin collections

For bin collection information over Christmas and the New Year, please refer to your bin calendar.

The calendars can also be viewed HERE.

Recycling information

You can recycle the following festive items:

  • Real Christmas tree – Chop it up and put it in your green bin or take it to your nearest Household Recycling Centre.
  • House plants and real festive trimmings, such as holly and ivy - Put them in your green bin removing any plastic or metal fasteners.

You cannot recycle the item listed below:

(Take it to your nearest Household Recycling Centre)

  • Plastic Christmas tree.

You cannot recycle the items listed below:

(Put them in your black bin)

  • Wrapping paper – Many types of wrapping paper have metallic coatings and glitter, which means we are unable to recycle it.
  • Baubles (glass and plastic).
  • Tinsel.
  • Bows and ribbons.
  • Christmas crackers.
  • Balloons.
  • Glitter.
  • Sticky tape and sticky tack (like blu tack).
  • Fairy lights.
  • Candles (real).
  • Candles (battery) – The battery may be removed and bagged in a clear bag and attached to your bin handle of your burgundy recycling bin.
  • Christmas cards and tags – Due to having metallic coatings and glitter, which means we are unable to recycle them.

These items are not accepted in our recycling collection, although they are paper based.

This is due to the glitter, ribbons, foil and sometimes batteries which are common features on these items.

Please check whether these items can be taken back to your retailer or other charitable organisations that may have a specific seasonal collection facility available in your locality

Road gritting

Derbyshire County Council is responsible for gritting roads across the county, including in North East Derbyshire.

You can view gritting activity and snow-related road closures on their website.

Cold weather advice

Rykneld Homes has produced a ‘Keep Warm, Keep Well this Winter’ leaflet to provide advice and information relating to your home and personal well-being during the cold winter months. Amongst other things, it includes information about frozen and burst pipes and how to keep your home warm. See their website for information.

Emergencies (out of hours)

For emergency housing repairs, please contact Rykneld Homes. Tel: 08000 121 621.

To report a dangerous structure call: 01246 242295.

Derbyshire County Council provides emergency out-of-hours social care support for adults and children. Tel: 01629 532600.

For any emergency relating to North East Derbyshire District Council’s services, please call our main telephone number: 01246 231111 to listen to recorded information.

Report it online

Did you know? You can report and request the following 24 hours a day via our online reporting forms:

  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Bulky waste collections
  • Compliments, comments, complaints
  • Dead animal removal
  • Fouling
  • Fly tipping
  • Food hygiene
  • General enquiries
  • Gymnastics lessons waiting list
  • Hate incident reporting
  • Littering
  • Lost and stray dogs
  • Noise nuisance
  • Online leisure bookings
  • Swimming lesson enrolment
  • Trampoline lessons waiting list