North East Derbyshire District Council are sharing tips to help you keep your homes and presents safe over the festive period as the dark nights have drawn in. #DarkNights
Our handy tips are simple and easy, but make a big difference, so you and your family can enjoy the festivities.
Below you can find a few simple, but helpful steps in order to do so;
- User timer switches to turn on lights and radios when you are out at night to make your home look occupied.
- Close your curtains and keep valuables, such as Christmas gifts out of sight – don’t present your home as a shop window to thieves.
- Keep doors and windows locked, even when at home.
- Use property marking kits to mark your valuables.
- If you are going away for the festive season, remember to cancel milk & newspaper deliveries.
- Remember to keep vehicles locked and their windows closed – don’t leave anything on display either. Take all of the contents with you, or lock them in the boot.
- If you’re a cyclist, remember to wear high visibility clothing and fit lights to your bike so you can be seen by other road users.
A Reminder with Christmas coming up;
- Try not to put things under the tree until the last minute.
- Keep valuables safe, locked up.
- Leave your car key downstairs.
- Lock garage doors even if you’re in and working in the garden.
- Make sure you have nothing within reach of the windows should they be open.