A massive £1.9m will now be invested in Killamarsh Sports Centre, creating even more facilities for residents and visitors to enjoy.
North East Derbyshire District councillors agreed to the increase in funding after it had previously pledged £1m to give the centre a new lease of life following NEDDC taking over the running of the site from Killamarsh Parish Council.
In addition to the large 80 station gym, fitness studios and café, the extra cash will now pay for large scale refurbishment of the whole facility, creation of a large multi-floor soft play and providing a Changing Places toilet, making the Centre accessible for non-sporting customers and a great asset for the local community for everyday general use or to host children’s parties.
Cllr Jeremy Kenyon, Cabinet Member for Leisure, Transformation and Climate Change at North East Derbyshire District Council, said: “This increased investment demonstrates how committed we are to providing the very best health and leisure facilities for our residents.
“Customers will soon be able to enjoy a wide range of classes and activities, in bright and modern surroundings, together with facilities not seen at the centre before, such as a café and fantastic soft play area.”
The refurbishment programme will include:
- Extensive refurbishment throughout
- New entrance, signage and painting to the outside of the building
- Car park improvements
- New fitness class studio space, including virtual instructor provision.
- Cycle/Spin studio
- Café with a great food and beverage offer
- 80 station fitness suite, over two floors, set out with all the latest fitness equipment
- A community ‘Changing Places’ facility - Changing Places toilets meet the needs of people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, as well as people with other physical disabilities such as spinal injuries, muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis.
- New multi-floor soft play kingdom with ball pits, slides and a safe area for toddlers
- Online membership and booking facilities for activities
- Refurbished 3G football pitch with new fencing, lighting and multi pitch playing areas.
We are in continued discussions with the County Council regarding the inclusion of Killamarsh Library within the centre.
Refurbishment of Killamarsh Sports Centre, on Stanley Street, Killamarsh, is expected to start in September 2021.
The council will shortly be sharing these exciting plans, engaging with the local community and working with residents on providing activities for young people.
Keep up to date on the latest developments via www.ne-derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure
If you would like to use a facility like this now, you can use the leisure centres at Eckington, Dronfield or Clay Cross and any membership can be used at Killamarsh once the refurbishment is complete.
However, we are improving Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre too and the pool will be closed from Monday 16 August for around 16 weeks. The gym and fitness classes will be open and running as normal during this period.
For more information and updates about Killamarsh and Eckington, please keep a look out on our website www.ne-derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure and the centres’ Facebook pages.
Notes to news editors
Since April 12, when Covid lockdown restrictions eased, the centre has been closed to customers and only partly open for clubs to use the facilities.
The official transfer of Killamarsh Sports Centre to North East Derbyshire District Council took place on 17 May 2021.
More information about the Changing Places facility - https://www.changing-places.org
Pictured: Impression of the new entrance to the facility
Pictured: Impression of the upper floor gym facilities
Pictured: Impression of the Cycle/Spin studio
Pictured: Impression of the gym space and equipment