Apprentices must be aged 16 or over and combine working with studying for a work-based qualification - from GCSE's or equivalent up to degree level. They can be new or current employees.
Apprenticeships are an excellent way to find eager employees who will be trained up to a high level in order to provide them with the skills needed to perform their job.
We work with partners to promote and recruit apprenticeships within the District, and you may be able to get funding to help employ an apprentice.
Higher and degree apprenticeships are available at levels 4 to 7 and combine work with study, and may include a work-based, academic or combined qualification or a professional qualification relevant to the industry.
- Higher and Degree Apprentiships at the Sheffield Hallam University website
- Higher and Degree Apprentiships at the Derby University website
- Employer Guides to Apprenticeships at the Gov.uk website
In April 2017 the way the government funds apprenticeships in England changed. Some employers will be required to contribute to a new apprenticeship levy, and there will be changes to the funding for apprenticeship training for all employers.
As an authority we have always been pro-active in encouraging young people to take up traineeships and apprenticeships to gain the necessary skills, qualifications and experience so they are work-ready.
The introduction of the Apprenticeship Levy April 2017 meant all public bodies with 250 or more staff had to employ an average of at least 2.3% of their staff as new apprenticeship starts.
We actively consider apprenticeships either for new recruits or as part of career development for our existing staff.
- For 2017/18 we had a target of nine apprentices, and we achieved seven with apprenticeships in Business Administration, ICT, Leisure Management, Activity Leadership, Accountancy, Horticulture, Plumbing, Automotive, Customer Service, Level 2 and Level 3.
- For 2018/19 we have a target of 11 apprentices and are on target to achieve this.
For help and advice on any of the above, please get in touch:
- Telephone: 01246 231111