The Council offers a service for the removal of bulky items from outside your home.
Request a Bulky Collection
You can request the collection of bulky waste in a number of ways:
- Online: Self-service link on the website - This service is temporarily suspended
- Telephone: 01246 231111
Guidance for Requests
Before completing an application form for a bulk collection, please read the following notes:
From 1st January 2023 new legislation from the Environment Agency came into effect regarding the storage and disposal of waste upholstered domestic seating containing Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs). POPs are poisonous chemical substances that break down slowly and get into food chains as a result. From 1st January 2023 this waste has not been able to be disposed of in landfill and has been required to be incinerated.
Waste domestic seating is any item of seating of a household type from households or businesses that is waste. Upholstered domestic seating may contain POPs. For example:
- Sofa beds
- Kitchen and dining room chairs
- Stools and foot stools
- Home office chairs
- Bean bags, floor and sofa cushions
This includes any part made of or containing leather, synthetic leather, other fabric, or foam.
The following items of domestic seating are unlikely to contain POPs:
- Items that are not upholstered, for example, a wooden chair without a cushioned or textile back, seat, or arms
- wastes from manufacturing new domestic seating that the manufacturer can demonstrate do not contain POPs
Mattresses, curtains, blinds and beds are not domestic seating and are not covered by this guidance.
Therefore, items containing POPs will be collected separately.
The bulk service is intended for a variety of large household items. A general description of a qualifying item would be “Any item that you would take in a removal van when moving house”
Typical Collectable Items:
- Beds and mattresses
- Bedroom furniture (free standing)
- Fridges and Freezers (domestic appliance only)
- Kitchen furniture (free standing)
- Room furniture (free standing)
- Settees and arm chairs
- Swings/slides (free standing)
- Tables and chairs (free standing)
- Televisions and Hi-fi
- Washers and tumble dryers
Typical Non-collectable Items (Industrial/ Commercial Waste):
- Aerials and satellite dishes
- Baths, sinks, toilets, bidets
- Boilers and radiators
- Building materials (including bricks, tiles and rubble)
- Car parts of any description
- Coal bunkers (concrete/metal)
- Fitted kitchen/ bedroom units
- Garages, greenhouses and sheds
- Gates and fences
- Hazardous waste items
- Internal/external doors
- Mirrored wardrobe doors
- Oil tank and gas cylinders
- Soil, earth, stones and concrete
- Storage heaters (due to asbestos)
- Windows (frames and/or glass)
- Garden waste (please use green bins)
How Much Does it Cost?
- One to three items - £15.00 )
- Four to six items - £20.00 ) Concessions are available
- Seven to nine items - £25.00 )
- Please see list of large items. These are £15.00 each - NO concessions available
- Fridges and freezers (domestic style appliances only are accepted) - £15.00 per unit - no concessions available
- Over nine items or items that are exceptionally large or heavy (such as pianos, organs, range cookers, American style fridge-freezers, etc.) - By quotation only (No concessions available)
Our call centre will contact you with a collection date the same day you make your payment. Due to new legislation on how we can collect waste, items may be collected on different days/weeks.
Please note: If there are 2 fridges for collection and, for instance, a settee, the charge will be £15.00 for each of the fridges and £15 for the single item to be collected, which would be a total of £45.00 – no concessions available
We do not collect garden waste on the bulk collection service - please use your green bin to dispose of this.
What is a large Item?
- Bed base
- Bed Settee
- Caravan awning
- Chest of drawers
- Climbing frame
- Computer desk
- Cross trainer
- Garden furniture – large items
- Gym equipment
- Headboard double etc
- Jacuzzi/Hot tub (inflatable) - Quote for rigid ones
- Large bookcase
- Large cabinet
- Large dresser/welsh dresser/display cabinet
- Large flat screen TV
- Outdoor plan house - Dismantled
- Plastic garden storage unit
- Shelving unit
- Stairlift – May need a quotation
- Trampoline – Dismantled
- Tumble dryer
- Washing machine
If you are paying to have a large electrical item to be removed and have a small electrical item, smaller than a microwave, please put these out with your electrical item and these will be removed free of charge.
Are Concessions Available?
- No concessions are available on large items – see list
- Households on low income receiving benefits will receive a reduced rate of 50%. (Evidence requirement: Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Pension Credit, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance).
- Householders who due to reasons of disability do not have the capability and mobility to deliver their own bulky waste to a civic amenity site will receive a reduced rate of 50%. (Evidence requirement: Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance, Mobility Allowance).
- In order to qualify for a concession customers must demonstrate that they are low income families receiving benefits or unable to arrange for their own disposal due to reasons of infirmity and capability.
How Do I Pay?
We need to take payment in advance before any bulk collection can be scheduled for collection.
Booking and Payment Options:
- You can book and pay for your bulk collection yourself via our self-service link on the website - Service temporarily suspended.
- Or by telephoning our Customer Service Team.
You will be required to leave items for collection outside in an accessible place at the front of the property; as close to the property curtilage as possible.
Items will need to be presented by 6.00am on the day ready for collection.
We reserve the right to refuse to take items that are left at the rear of the property.
Please note: We will not enter garages or houses to collect items. However, if for some reason you are unable to present items outside at the front of property yourself or cannot get someone to do this on your behalf, we can provide you with a quotation for removal of the items upon request.
Once payment has been accepted for collection, the original request cannot be altered in any way (i.e. items added, deleted or substituted). If you need to change or amend your bulky collection, the original request will need to be cancelled at least 2 working days before the date of collection and a new request raised, which may change the date of collection and fee – due to new fees.
Refunds can only be given if cancelled at least 2 working days before the due collection day.
To discuss any aspects in more detail please contact us:
- Telephone: 01246 231111