The Walking into Communities project is based in Clay Cross North and South and is open to everyone. It aims to support residents to:
- Be a little more active and get moving!
- Feel more included in their community and feel less socially isolated We do this by listening to local people, giving information on what’s already happening in Clay Cross, and supporting residents to set up new activities.
By registering for the Walking into Communities Project you can:
- Get information on existing community activities near you
- Give your ideas to help shape new activities in Clay Cross
- Get help to set up new groups or activities
- Try out new social or physical activities at the same time as other newcomers or beginners
- Be supported to start new activities with the help of our Physical Activity Champions (see back page)
- Access opportunities for skills development, training and volunteering
- Access our incentive scheme
Being more active has significant benefits for health, both physical and mental, and can help to prevent and manage over 20 chronic conditions and diseases, including some cancers, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and depression.
Physical activity isn’t always about joining a gym, it could be a buggy push walk, swimming, chair-based exercise, Zumba, beginners dance classes, yoga, tag rugby, and much more!
When you combine this with meeting and socialising with other people, the fun really begins!
So that we can demonstrate the impact our project has had for local people we will require you to complete a registration form upon joining, and then a small set of questions again at three months, six months, and one year stages.
- Recruit new members to your group
- Promote your group
- Incorporate some physical activity into your existing session
- Fund some taster sessions so you can try out new activities
- Provide long-term equipment loans
- Invite guest speakers to give information on health related topics
- Help to increase the frequency of your group meetings
Physical Activity Champions are volunteers who are committed to promoting the positive message around being physically active. They should share the value that physical activity is good for health and wellbeing, a message we can help support through providing information and resources.
Physical Activity Champions can support others to become more active by leading or helping out at group sessions, or by buddying new members at their group.
We offer full support and training to our Physical Activity Champions, which will be tailored according to the role each person takes on.
Join our online book club!
The group meets every other Monday evening 7:30-8:30pm, which is perfect for a lovely end to your Monday, after work or some “you time” when the kids have gone to sleep!
We read one book over a couple of months, coming together every couple of weeks to discuss the chapters we’ve read, the characters, and what we like or dislike! It’s very informal and friendly, no experience of book clubs necessary.
So far we have read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee… who knows what we will read next!?
We use Zoom, and can help you to log on if you haven’t used it before. You will receive a free book, and the session is also free – come and give it a go!
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading!” – Jane Austen
If you want to keep informed of upcoming Walking into Communities events and activities, please contact one of our team, or follow us on social media:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ClayCrossBts
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/claycrossbts/