The Walking into Communities project is based in Clay Cross North and South and is open to everyone. It aims to support residents to:
- Be a little more active and get moving!
- Feel more included in their community and feel less socially isolated We do this by listening to local people, giving information on what’s already happening in Clay Cross, and supporting residents to set up new activities.
By registering for the Walking into Communities Project you can:
- Get information on existing community activities near you
- Give your ideas to help shape new activities in Clay Cross
- Get help to set up new groups or activities
- Try out new social or physical activities at the same time as other newcomers or beginners
- Be supported to start new activities with the help of our Physical Activity Champions (see back page)
- Access opportunities for skills development, training and volunteering
- Access our incentive scheme
Being more active has significant benefits for health, both physical and mental, and can help to prevent and manage over 20 chronic conditions and diseases, including some cancers, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and depression.
Physical activity isn’t always about joining a gym, it could be a buggy push walk, swimming, chair-based exercise, Zumba, beginners dance classes, yoga, tag rugby, and much more!
When you combine this with meeting and socialising with other people, the fun really begins!
So that we can demonstrate the impact our project has had for local people we will require you to complete a registration form upon joining, and then a small set of questions again at three months, six months, and one year stages.
- Recruit new members to your group
- Promote your group
- Incorporate some physical activity into your existing session
- Fund some taster sessions so you can try out new activities
- Provide long-term equipment loans
- Invite guest speakers to give information on health related topics
- Help to increase the frequency of your group meetings
Check out our Online Programmes for April and May 2021!
During the lockdown we are all staying home and staying safe, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get involved in some fun, group activities! We have 2 online programmes running weekly through March and April. We use Zoom, and if you want any help please just let us know.
Join our online Book Club! – Fortnightly on Monday evenings 7:30-8:30pm for 7 weeks. We are about to start reading Cider With Rosie by Laurie Lee. Our last book was Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Who knows what we will read next!? Come and join us!
Try out Chair-based exercise, dance and yoga! – Every Friday afternoon 1:30-2:30pm for 6 weeks. Our Instructor Anna leads a session to help us all keep active at home, and to build strength and confidence to help with everyday tasks. All you need is a chair!
More information can be found on the flyers.
To book your place on these sessions, get in touch by contacting one of our team below. You will need to complete a short registration form.
Physical Activity Champions are volunteers who are committed to promoting the positive message around being physically active. They should share the value that physical activity is good for health and wellbeing, a message we can help support through providing information and resources.
Physical Activity Champions can support others to become more active by leading or helping out at group sessions, or by buddying new members at their group.
We offer full support and training to our Physical Activity Champions, which will be tailored according to the role each person takes on.
If you want to keep informed of upcoming Walking into Communities events and activities, please contact one of our team, or follow us on social media:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ClayCrossBts
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/claycrossbts/