Walking into Communities
The Walking into Communities project is based in Clay Cross North and South and is open to everyone. It aims to support residents to:
- Be a little more active and get moving!
- Feel more included in their community and feel less socially isolated We do this by listening to local people, giving information on what’s already happening in Clay Cross, and supporting residents to set up new activities.
Why become involved?
By registering for the Walking into Communities Project you can:
- Get information on existing community activities near you
- Give your ideas to help shape new activities in Clay Cross
- Get help to set up a new group or activities
- Try out our new social or physical activities at the same time as other newcomers or beginners
- Access opportunities for skill development, training and volunteering
Being more active has significant benefits for health, both physical and mental, and can help to prevent and manage over 20 chronic conditions and diseases, including some cancers, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and depression.
Physical activity isn’t always about joining a gym, it could be a buggy push walk, swimming, chair-based exercise, Zumba, beginners dance classes, yoga, tag rugby, and much more!
When you combine this with meeting and socialising with other people, the fun really begins!
So that we can demonstrate the impact our project has had for local people we will require you to complete a registration form upon joining, and then a small set of questions again at three months, six months, and one year stages.
Support for existing community groups within Clay Cross
- Recruit new members to your group
- Promote your group
- Incorporate some physical activity into your existing session
- Fund some taster sessions so you can try out new activities
- Provide long-term equipment loans
- Invite guest speakers to give information on health related topics
- Help to increase the frequency of your group meetings
Forever Active is a daytime session with multisport and exercise activity with the aim of improving your overall wellbeing and a chance to socialise and meet new friends.
This session is suitable for anybody with a long term health or mental health condition, or simply for anybody that would like to try out some new low impact sport and exercise.
- Short Tennis
- Kurling Kroquet
- Kurling Golf
Support for Carers
We would like to offer carers the opportunity to participate in the activities for free of charge.
- The sessions will be delivered by our Sports Development Coaches
- Our standard concessionary and leisure pass prices will apply.
- Sessions are free to JDM unlimited and corporate members.
- Carers can take part for FREE.
Physical Activity Champions
We are developing a Physical Activity Network in Clay Cross were people that share the value that physical activity is good for health and wellbeing, can come together, to inspire and support more people to be more physically active.
Join our community book club!
The group meets every other Friday morning at 11.30am at Wellies at the Bret Club - Clay Cross, Chesterfield S45 9LL.
We read one book over a couple of months, coming together every couple of weeks to discuss the chapters we’ve read, the characters, and what we like or dislike! It’s very informal and friendly, no experience of book clubs necessary.
Some of the books we have read include Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee, Middlemarch by George Eliot and Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier.
You will receive a free book, when you join the session after completing a registration form. Come and give it a go!
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading!” – Jane Austen
Family Couch to 5k
Join in the fun & run! A family event for kids, parents, guardians, aunts, uncles, buggy pushers... The first session is FREE for all. Adults are free for subsequent sessions with a participating child. There will also be refreshments available after each run at Sharley Park Leisure Centre, Clay Cross.
- Every Saturday: 9.15am to 10.15am
- First event: 24 September 2022
- Price: £3 per session
- Meeting Point: Sharley Park Leisure Centre
Find out more - follow us on social media
If you want to keep informed of upcoming Walking into Communities events and activities, please contact one of our team, or follow us on social media:
- Name: Debbie Saint or Lynn Johnston
- Telephone: 07773 201033 or 07971 654854