The Walking into Communities project is based in Clay Cross North and South and is open to everyone. It aims to support residents to:
- Be a little more active and get moving!
- Feel more included in their community and feel less socially isolated We do this by listening to local people, giving information on what’s already happening in Clay Cross, and supporting residents to set up new activities.
We want to help keep your little ones busy this half term by downloading our Valentines activities workbook! With plenty to draw, word-searches to complete, scavenger hunts, poems to write - there are hours of fun to take part in together!
By registering for the Walking into Communities Project you can:
- Get information on existing community activities near you
- Give your ideas to help shape new activities in Clay Cross
- Get help to set up new groups or activities
- Try out new social or physical activities at the same time as other newcomers or beginners
- Be supported to start new activities with the help of our Physical Activity Champions (see back page)
- Access opportunities for skills development, training and volunteering
- Access our incentive scheme
Being more active has significant benefits for health, both physical and mental, and can help to prevent and manage over 20 chronic conditions and diseases, including some cancers, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and depression.
Physical activity isn’t always about joining a gym, it could be a buggy push walk, swimming, chair-based exercise, Zumba, beginners dance classes, yoga, tag rugby, and much more!
When you combine this with meeting and socialising with other people, the fun really begins!
So that we can demonstrate the impact our project has had for local people we will require you to complete a registration form upon joining, and then a small set of questions again at three months, six months, and one year stages.
- Recruit new members to your group
- Promote your group
- Incorporate some physical activity into your existing session
- Fund some taster sessions so you can try out new activities
- Provide long-term equipment loans
- Invite guest speakers to give information on health related topics
- Help to increase the frequency of your group meetings
Physical Activity Champions are volunteers who are committed to promoting the positive message around being physically active. They should share the value that physical activity is good for health and wellbeing, a message we can help support through providing information and resources.
Physical Activity Champions can support others to become more active by leading or helping out at group sessions, or by buddying new members at their group.
We offer full support and training to our Physical Activity Champions, which will be tailored according to the role each person takes on.