No matter what you’re doing this Easter why not consider an Eco-friendly Easter? Through good habits and a couple of little tricks you can make your Easter a sustainable one!
- Re-think your Easter egg hunt. Instead of hiding plastic eggs you could hide real eggs (best hard boiled), biodegradable goodie bags, or small wood toys, which could be reused – after all, the fun is in the hunt!
- Give up something for Lent which is harmful for the planet. Have you considered giving up single-use plastics? How about making a considered effort to stop waste or why not try reducing your meat consumption?
- Think about the packaging your chocolate eggs come in. You can check the packaging of a chocolate egg to ensure it’s either recyclable or it’s been produced from sustainable sources. Once finished, you can then recycle the packaging! Ones with no plastic window or plastic insert would be better for the environment - if you can find them.
- Make your own re-usable packaging. could use a wooden or cardboard box/egg then decorate it as you please! Why not involve the kids and have fun doing it too!
- Look for ethical chocolate. i.e. Fairtrade, vegan, palm oil free, and rainforest friendly.
- Reusable decorations. You could paint stones or fir cones or make a woven basket out of used paper and gift bags or you could find a second-hand Easter egg basket. If you love painting real eggs at Easter, you could go a step further by making your own natural dyes, which would be more eco-friendly than using paints!
- Repurpose old plastic eggs or decorations. Rather than throwing away your old Easter bits – you could repurpose them into a decoration, this DIY Easter egg wreath is one idea for them.
- Easter food. Have you considered local produce? If you eat meat and eggs try to choose organic and free-range options from local farmers and butchers. Or you could reduce your meat intake over the Easter period – unsure what that might entail? Here are a list of some veggie Easter meal alternatives.
Looking for something to do with the kids this Easter? Why not visit one of our Leisure Centres? You can choose from Dronfield Sports Centre, Eckington Swimming Pool and Fitness Centre, Killamarsh Active and Sharley Park Leisure Centre! Find out what they have to offer this Easter on our holiday activities webpage.